The Discovery

Chapter 2

I tasted freedom on my tongue, felt it on my skin, saw it through my eyes. The wind combed it's wispy fingers through my hair, kissing my face as I ran, legs pumping, along the side of my second best friend. The moon helped me, lent a ray of light, something to see the world by. And it was so, so beautiful. No bars to mar my vision. No blinding white walls closing in on me, only wide open space, wanting, calling, for someone to feel it's wildness, it's freedom that four walls could never trap. The stars watched me, urging me to go, go, go.

The sounds of the alarm faded behind me, left behind with the rest of the life I hadn't wanted. I had escaped my lie, and was now finding my truth. It was there.
In the distance, small lights shone, probably a town. With me, I could feel Silas, his heart beating to the crazy rhythm of mine, his happiness washing over me like a waterfall.
"We...did it." I said, the wind snatching away my words like leaves in a storm. But I knew he heard. Damn, it feels good! Silas yelled, triumphant. He sounded like he was King of the world. I smiled, but didn't stop running. If I wanted to stay free, I had to keep running.
My feet pounded the ground, sending the world a message; You can't stop me anymore. Dust flew upon my wake, my own little storm.
My lungs burned, no longer taking in air the way they were. I gasped for a breath, getting some air then losing it again.
"Si..las.." I puffed, my laboured breaths getting in the way of my voice. As soon as I spoke, energy coursed through my body, waking me up, spurring me on.
"Thanks, Sil," I called out to the sky, not caring who or what heard me. Anytime.

My eyes darting around, I wondered where exactly I was. It's not like anyone had ever bothered to tell me, the crazy girl with the crazy eyes and even crazier conversations. My memories were blurred from the day I had arrived. The long, boring, lonely days had all faded into weeks, and then months, and then years. And besides, even if I couldn't remember when I got there, there was always that stupid protocol. 'Our philosophy is that our patients should not have to worry about the outside world. It increases stress levels, and we are aiming for a blissful and stress-free environment. Things such as location, year, and time will not be permitted to be given to our residents. It's all a part of the healing proccess, you see.' That freaking protocol. It'd driven me mad. It was if people who were mentally unstable weren't allowed the privilege of knowing anything. I resented that.

I slowed, looking behind me. Pleased, I only saw the road stretching on behind me. I never wanted the place in my sight again. Ever.
Something caught my eye. Squinting, I tried to focus on the tiny pinpricks of flashing light behind me. They were obviously coming my way. What...?
"Silas," I breathed, "I think that's..." The cops. He grimly confirmed. I don't have enough energy to conceal you; you're gonna have to hide. Now.
I looked around wildly. Where to hide, where to hide? Meanwhile, the cop car was steadily drawing closer by the second. Quickly, I dove into the ditch, hunkering down and praying to any god that would listen. I held my breath as I heard the cop car roll by. It slowed down, barely making a sound, headlights scanning the road ahead. Within a few seconds, it sped up once again, in pursuit of a madwoman I hoped they never found.

My heart in my throat, I climbed out of the ditch, pulling bits of grass out of my hair. I sighed. My energy was fading fast, and I was slowly falling under the influence of fatigue. I started walking towards the town again, but there was no way I was going to make it there before morning on foot.
In the end, I decided on trying to hitchhike, but even that was against me; not a whole lot of people would be driving at this hour.

The car came about an hour after. It wasn't going very fast. It was tentatively making it's way down the road, as if afraid to disturb the nightlife. But there was only me. I stuck my thumb out. As the car got close, I could make out a woman behind the wheel. At first she looked like she would pass me and leave me for the night, but the expression on my face must have changed her mind, because she pulled over, opening the passenger side door.
I climbed in, so, so thankful.

"Thank you so much," I said, dropping my bag at my feet, closing the door.
I saw that she was a young woman, with no wrinkles yet on her face. She had dark, shiny hair that hung limp around her face, which was streaked with tears. Bits of mascara was smudged along her face. She sniffed.
"Are you alright..?" I asked as she started to drive. She looked over at me, her face scrunched up, trying not to cry.
"I left..I left my husband tonight," she said, her voice wavering. She gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles white.
"I'm sorry," I said, wanting to sound sincere. She really did look broken. She gave me a watery smile, reaching over to pat my shoulder.
"It's not your fault, sweetheart. It was his. All his. He was an alcoholic, you see." She explained.
"What's that?" I cursed the protocol again. I was so...new at this. She gave me a funny look, but told me.
"Someone who drinks too much. He drank away his life, is what he did." She said, her eyes no longer sad, but angry. I nodded. When I was younger, my friends father was a drunk. He would come home in mad rages, not caring for anything but his precious drink.
"I'm Krista, by the way." She said, smiling slightly.
"Ren," I answered. "Just Ren."

I sighed inwardly. Now it was time for answers.
"This is going to sound weird, but..." I bit my lip. "Where am I?" I asked, looking at Krista. She seemed a bit taken aback, but obliged me an answer.
"This is the country county. If you keep to this road, you'll eventually get to the big city." She said.
"Yes, but..where is this? What country? Or province?" I asked, looking out the front and avoiding her eyes. I focused on the headlights.
"Who are you, Ren?" She asked, looking over, concern bright in her eyes.
"I'm just Ren. Other then that, I'm not all that sure," I said quietly. She was silent for a moment.
"We're in Ontario," she said. "This is the less well-known area."

I leaned back in the seat, dizzy. I was in Canada. Canada. I had lived in Chicago with my mother and father. I had lived in Chicago, and now I was in Canada. Ontario, with it's Wonderlands and it's cities. I was in freaking Ontario. I didn't belong here. This wasn't right. I wasn't right. Nothing was right.
My thoughts tumbled and weaved and scrambled. I could no longer think straight.

"Hey, Sweetheart, are you okay?" Krista asked, peering at me. I nodded numbly.
I had always known I was far from home, but not this far. Never this far.

It'll be okay, Ren.

But will it?

I'm not sure of anything anymore.

I'm lost.

So very, very lost.

Somebody help me.