⋅⋆ xi.

𝟎𝟏𝟏. ❝ UNAWARE OF THE TURMOIL. ❞

   — SHE SAT AS CLOSE TO THE ENTRANCE AS SHE COULD, HER FINGERS PLAYING WITH THE ROLLS OF FOG THAT FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE CAVE

   — SHE SAT AS CLOSE TO THE ENTRANCE AS SHE COULD, HER FINGERS PLAYING WITH THE ROLLS OF FOG THAT FOUND THEIR WAY INTO THE CAVE. Her fingers were burned red, having been engulfed in the fog throughout the night. But she couldn't even feel the pain anymore, she didn't feel anything anymore.

   Her eyes drooped closed as her fingers pushed the fog out of the cave and she thought about the last words Atom had said. He had been calling for help, help that wouldn't ever arrive.

   Her eyes shot open as Charlotte raised her voice, following Bellamy's advice. She had woken up only a couple of minutes ago, a nightmare waking her from her sleep. Nightmares were a common theme among the hundred. They were all so young, but they had nightmares that they never should've had to have. Memories of deaths and murders and hardships haunted each and every one of them.

   "Screw you," Charlotte said, echoing to the front of the cave. "I'm not afraid."

   Cleo was tempted to repeat the words, but she would've been lying. She was always afraid. She had been afraid from the moment they landed and she had been afraid up until now. The emptiness had spread through her body, hope leaving her heart when she realized she couldn't go back out into the fog.

   It was all over for her, now. The Earth would only take.

   "Slay your demons, kid. Then you'll be able to sleep."

   Silence fell in the cave and she assumed they both went back to sleep. She pulled her fingers in from the mouth of the cave and examined them. Her fingertips were completely destroyed, bleeding with pores of dead flesh The palm and the fingers weren't bleeding, but they were a bright shade of red that could be seen even in the dark. She hesitantly touched her palm with her left hand, wincing sharply when she finally felt the burning that was heating up her hand.