Chapter 4

Vorahk stood in the shadows at the top of the mountain overlooking Ta-Koro. He had seen everything.

“Prepare for attack.” he ordered one of his Rahkshi soldiers. The soldier nodded and left Vorahk to continue spying on the Toa.

            “They’re stupid creatures.” Guurahk snarled, appearing out of thin air at Vorahk’s side. “Still they suspect nothing?”

“My people are silent hunters; if they ever do notice our trap, it will be far too late.” Vorahk hissed.

“You better be right or Nidhiki will not be impressed.”

“Don’t challenge me, Guurahk.”

            Guurahk hissed angrily and then left. Vorahk watched the Toa exit the borders of Ta-Koro and signaled his men.

“It’s time.”

Down on ground level, Lewa and Turaga Vokama came to a sudden halt outside the gates of Ta-Koro.

“What, have you found it already?” Pohatu asked incredulously from the back of the group.

“No,” Lewa answered quietly, “We’re being watched.” He looked up towards the mountains and saw Vorahk looking straight back. His eyes widened as he uttered the word that struck fear into the strongest Matoran. “Rahkshi.”

            At that moment, there was a low rumble from below them and dozens of clawed fists burst from the ground, pulling their bodies out from underneath them. In seconds, the Toa were surrounded by a snarling horde of Vorahk’s strongest warriors.

            Vorahk stood before them, power spear at his side.

“End of the line, Toa.” he hissed menacingly.

“Think before you act, Vorahk,” Tahu growled, stepping forward, “we have more power than the entire Rahkshi race combined!”

Vorahk let out a little laugh.

“We both know that isn’t true! Nothing is more powerful than the Rahkshi.”

“Let’s test that theory.” Lewa said boldly, striding in between Tahu and Vorahk.

            Vorahk struck first. With a big sweeping motion, he sliced his spear through the air and plunged it towards Lewa, who parried with his twin-blade. Vorahk aimed a hard kick at Lewa’s ankle but Lewa merely steeped aside, sending Vorahk tumbling into the dirt. Vorahk hissed something in Kraatan, the language of the Rahkshi, and his forces flew into action.

            In seconds, the outskirt of Ta-Koro became a raging sea of swirling spears and shots of elemental power. Pohatu and Onua were holding off a bunch of Rahkshi with a crude rock-hurling device built from out of the ground whilst Gali and Kopaka fended off a squad back-to-back. Lewa blasted through dozens with his new-found power whilst protecting Vokama, and Tahu was roasting foes like marshmallows on a campfire.

            “Lewa!” Tahu roared over the pandemonium, “We need to finish this NOW!” Lewa nodded, raised his twin-blade and brought it crashing into the ground with an earth-shattering BANG! The Toa dug their fingers into the earth and held on as the Rahkshi were blown apart by a supersonic wave. Vorahk howled in rage and teleported away along with one remaining soldier before he too could be destroyed.

            It was over. Rahkshi parts were scattered across the plains and some their back-mounted Kraata canisters had exploded, hurling stinky bubbling goo in all directions. To his disgust, Pohatu had a face full.

“A little more warning would be nice!” Pohatu complained, wiping off the last traces of Kraata off his Kanohi. He turned to Onua, who was laughing hysterically.

 “What are you laughing at?” Pohatu asked gruffly.

“You look funny!” Onua chuckled, receiving a smack on the head for his troubles.

            “That was incredible!” Gali said, patting Lewa on the shoulder.

“Indeed!” he said shakily, “I never knew I had it in me- this mask packs quite a punch.”

“You were nearly too late,” Tahu interrupted, “a few more seconds and we would have been Rahkshi fodder.”

“Oh give it a rest, Tahu.” Vokama said sternly. “We owe Lewa our lives!”

“We owe the mask our lives. Lewa wouldn’t have had the sense to do that if I hadn’t told him to.”

“You are being manipulated by jealousy, Tahu. Remember what I told you when I was turned against my fellows? I nearly killed them all and doomed all the Matoran; I felt terrible about it.”

            Tahu stood in silence for a moment then nodded.

“I apologize.” he said, turning back to the trail. “Well? Haven’t we got a job to do?” The other Toa looked up and ran over to him.

“That path is obviously filled danger.” Kopaka said, “We should use some other kind of transport. Something faster and safer.” Lewa nodded.

“I have an idea. Follow me!”