Chapter 1

"You're hired!" Said Mr.Lumin, the manager of Barnes and noble. I just turned 17 and put in my application right away.

"Thank you so much! I can't wait to start." I said, trying to hide my excitement. I couldn't believe I was going to be working in a place where the only think they sell are my favorite pass time activities: books.

"Well Ms. Roland we are glad to have you. Now you start tomorrow and a man named Mr. Smith will start training you. I trust him the most." He said that last part in a stage whisper then gave me a sly smile and a wink. "Now go. I have some employees to make feel nervous."

I laughed and found my way out. My phone sang to me the song of "All comes down" by Kodaline. Lesie, my best friends face was shown on the screen and I quickly answered.

"How'd the interview go?" she said as her way of a greeting.

"I'm now officially an employee of my favorite place on earth!"

"Woohoo! Drive over to my place tonight, pick me up and we'll celebrate!" I was kind of Leslie's chauffeur seeing as she was still 16 and hadn't gone to drivers ed yet. "I heard Stephanie's parents went to Paris again so there's gonna be a killer party." she explained. I didn't really like party's or want to go to one but I knew I would never hear the end of it from her if I said no. I Reluctantly said yes, gave her the time of when I would pick her up (8:00), and hung up the phone.

. . .

5 hours later I stood ready at my full length mirror inspecting myself with freshly curled long brown hair, a peach colored sleeveless top tucked in under a white lace skirt that went down to the middle of my thigh, paired with peach colored pumps. I held a clutch and a variety of white, silver, and peach colored bangles on my wrist. Since I refuse to wear make up I just dab some lip gloss on and left for Leslie's.

"Mom, I'm going to a party with Leslie. I won't be to late!"

"Don't disappoint me!" she called from the laundry room. My mom was cool like that...as long as I didn't come home drunk (which is never because I never have more than 1 beer) or without my virginity still intact. I ungracefully climbed into my red 2007 Toyota yaris, a hand- me down from one of my older sisters.

In exactly 7 minutes I was honking the tiny horn outside of Leslie's house. She ran out in a tight short black dress and silver heels. it looked perfect with her long blond naturally curly hair which I was always jealous of.

She breathed a "sup" my way as I started to drive off. she talked about how excited she was that she sneaked out and I couldn't get a word in otherwise.

When we pulled up, the party was already in full swing and the music and people were to loud to hear us knock. Leslie had the great idea of just walking in (we did) and hope no one threw us out (they didn't).

Somehow between the couple hours we had been there, Leslie had already drank 3 beers and a couple Jell-O shots. I, being the designated driver, had a water and never took my eyes off of it so no one would secretly spike it.

When the Cupid shuffle was over Leslie had taken her heels off and started to stumble back towards the car. I took her home with me so her mom wouldn't know she was wasted. I thought I was going to have to throw her over my shoulder to get her upstairs but with some time and effort she did it herself.

"You know? Jeff doesn't even deserve all this!" She said in a more than slurred voice."He doesn't know what he's missin!" I didn't even know who Jeff was. Probably someone she met at the party... I'd ask her tomorrow. For now I was more than happy to see she was already past out but with half of her body hanging off the bed. I helped her out and decided I should get some sleep to. Tomorrow was my first day of work

................................................................

Authors note:

Hey! If you're reading this that means you got through the first chapter! The first 2 chapters are kind of slow but in the 3rd, that's when it starts getting interesting.

If you have any questions or comments or suggestions just comment them and I will defiantly read them.

....