Chapter 4 - The Profecy

• Dedicated to Mandito Mecias

 4        -        The Profecy                                                                                                 

Cerion watched in half sleep as two Furi's appeared in a great puff of smoke. They were the only ones he had seen in that room besides his captor. The walls of the spacious chamber were a dingy grey and he grew even colder with his back pressed against it. Chains restrained him from any kind of movement and if he did try the hard iron would cut into his skin. The chains were coiled around his torso and connected to the wall. He had learned to stay still and quiet and to remain awake only when the moon was out. Though it was a dim light source, the moon always provided him with at least some energy.

The two Furi bowed to the his captor, the man seated at a spiked throne. A self proclaimed king who lashed out mayhem and malice throughout the realm. With his eyes opened ajar, he could see a dagger in each of their hands. It craftmanship was unique to only one person he knew. The curve of the blade was reversed, kind of like a small, backwards scimitar, and her insignia was inscribed on it.

"What happened?" asked his captor in a low voice.

"They got away," said the shorter Furi, which was not to say that they weren't both giants.

His captor stared darkly at the two imbeciles. "The two are together?"

"No, my lord," stuttered the shorter one. "First the birdess fell over and then we had the cock but then something happened. I think--"

Cerion laughed loudly. He couldn't imagine those two bumbling idiots trying to capture his beloved Lady. She would run circles around them. "Did you truely think it would be so easy to catch my Lady?" he closed his eyes, felling their sinister presences cloud over him.

"We shall see. Hold not your breath, the profecies always come true. There is no escape," the cold breath of his captor pressed to the outer shell of his ear. Shivers threatened but he ceased them before they became noticeable. He didn't open his eyes but still listened even in the hush tones spoken. "I want you to follow her, but nothing more. We must keep the two in our sights. I'll send word with more."

Cerion knew that it was only a matter of time. Those two Furi, though undeniably stupid, they could track a cockroach under a rock under a rock. No doubt her luminous aura would draw them in like moths. They're coming for you. As children, he had been closest to the Lady even though his father frowned on it. It didn't matter to him. He needed her like the sky needs the sun and moon. Maybe it was that closeness that allowed him to always communicate to him with the same link the Tus used with the humans. It was open through prayer and belief. He could often do this but the walls of his prison often blocked that link.

He hoped at least this time she would be able to hear it.

*

Cerisse was in the middle of laughing when a single tear slid down her face. Everyone in the unit just stared at her in an awkward silence. She touched it with her fingertips and its scent was irreplaceable. It was not a salty tear but a bitter one that tasted like spilt blood between ones lips. Her tongue involuntary ran across her upper lip.