Chapter 2 - Control tests

I must have fallen asleep eventually though. When I woke, it was sudden abrupt, and it was not the soft voice of Jeremy or Reece, but the almost high pitched voice of Nick who was on top of me somehow and was shaking me.

“Who let her fall asleep? She has a concussion!” Nick's panicked voice shocked me out of sleep, as I was literally pushed onto my back, Nick shaking me as his scent crashed into the car. Shake, shake, shake, I was so annoyed at being woken when I'd fallen asleep peacefully, that I refused to open my eyes. No. Bugger off. I was asleep. This was really ru... ow. My head hit something hard, a seat belt, and I shoved at him.

“Stop shaking me.”

He was really scared, I realised with shock, his heart racing, fear in his scent and clouding it. I wrapped arms around him and gazed around. Still dark, still very dark, how long had I slept? It didn't feel like long at all.

“I was asleep, Nick, it's fine. You know, that natural thing that happens when you're got five babies under four, and no ones there to hel-”

Nick lifted my head and kissed me hard, desperate, lips claiming mine with that hunger and desperation and fear, completely ignoring my little dig at the pack. He leaned up, slowly, when I stopped trying to talk and grinned a shaky grin. “That help?”

“No.”

“This?” He started to kiss my face, my neck, ignoring the smell of smoke. “Or this? Or this?”

“Nick...”

He kept going, ignoring me, curls tickling my face as he made sure I felt every last kiss, his weight carefully not entirely on me, and only when I relaxed did Nick relax, slowing, his head coming back up to check. “You okay now?”

I sighed. Shut my eyes. It was impossible to resist him. My body didn't relax, but I did, and I tried to convince it to do the same. No luck there. “When did you get here?”

“Just now. Clayton told me that the house was broken into and I came as fast as I could.” He grinned, a tense smile that suggested he'd already been ready. “Stay calm. The twins are still being tracked.”