Chapter 13

The silence of the room could strangle someone, Taylor was staring at Jeff who was staring at him and Taylor's mother was staring at the both of them. Taylor took a few short breathes and cleared his throat, staring at Jeff and wondering what to say. 

"Did... did you just say you love me?" 

Jeff started turning red, he tried backtracking on what he just said, he didn't realize Taylor was listening, "Well, I … I mean … you …" 

Taylor took a deep breathe, "Tell me the truth." 

Before Jeff could answer, Debra ran into the room, tears soaking her face as she spoke, "Taylor. He's okay! Colton is going to be okay! I got it out of a nurse, I'm so sorry for what David did. I didn't think he would lose his mind the way he did. Can you forgive me? I'm so sorry it got to this." 

Taylor turned his attention to Debra, anger still in his eyes, "How could you do this to Colton. He has done nothing to you, and you helped David, even though you knew he was a bit unstable. What is wrong with you, why would you do that?" 

Swallowing back tears, Debra leaned against the hospital door, "Honestly, he threatened me too. He needs help Taylor, something is seriously wrong with him. When I refused to be a part of it, he pushed me down the stairs, I was so afraid of him and everything he would do. I need you to forgive me, I need you to let this go and work with me in getting David help." 

Jeff stood up, walking towards the door, "He needs to be out away, Debra. I thought I liked you, but after all you've done, I don't see any good in you anymore. What happened to you? You used to be so sweet and innocent, when will you stop with the lies?" 

Taylor was trying to work everything out, but his mind was running a million miles a minute. Everything was happening at once and he couldn't process everything. Colton was okay? Debra was sorry? Jeff was in love with him? His best friend, who he assumed loved Debra just admitted to Taylor's mother that he was in love with him. His head was dizzy, he tried to stay focused, but there was too much running through his mind. 

"Where, where is Colton now?" 

Debra frowned, "Room 679, he's recovering. He isn't awake yet as the drugs are keeping him sleeping, but he has a pulse on the machine and the nurse said it didn't hit any main arteries, he's going to be okay. He's going to make it." 

Taking a deep breath and getting out of bed, Taylor made his way to the door, "I have to go see for myself. I have to see him right now. This is all my fault, I should've just loved that ass and everything would be okay. I don't think I would have forgave myself if he died. Please move out of my way, I need to go see him." 

Taylor moved to the elevator, gripping the side railing, he pressed the sixth floor and waited for the doors to close. His mind was still racing, but maybe it would make him feel better if he could see Colton alive for himself, maybe it would help him make everything clear. He moved out of the elevator, trudging his way to Colton's room. He looked inside and saw the small boy breathing, the monitor beeping with life. 

He was going to be okay, everything was going to be okay. Except for the fact David was now in custody and Jeff admitted his love for Taylor, everything slowly started to come together. He felt a hand wrap around his shoulder's and he turned to see Jeff standing behind him, tears in his eyes. Taylor had so much to say but he didn't know how to start. 

"Jeff, what's going on with you. Why are you claiming to be in love with me? You are the last person I would have expected to do that. Are you feeling okay? Maybe it's just your brotherly instincts kicking in, maybe you were just scared to lose me, so you wanted to protect me. Everything is going to be okay, but I know you don't love me. I know you love Debra and I know we'd never be able to work things out, we'd be a mess of a relationship." 

Sighing, Jeff leaned down and kissed Taylor, their lips connecting as he lightly pushed Taylor into the glass on the hospital room. He slid his hands around Taylor's waist and another hand found his hair, slightly stroking it as he deeply kissed him. After a few seconds, he pulled away, a small smile on his face. "I didn't know what love was until I started having feelings for you, I think you're the one, Taylor. I think I finally found out what I want in life." 

Taylor looked down at the ground and then back at Jeff, he looked inside Colton's room and sighed heavily, turning to Jeff. "Jeff, I don't think we're meant to be. I'm in love with Colton, as I have been for the last few years. You're my best friend, that's all I think you'll ever be. Please forget what you're thinking of me and go find Debra, she needs you." 

Jeff frowned, "But Taylor." 

Taylor kissed him one last time and walked into Colton's room, where he took a seat next to the small boy. Jeff looked inside the room and sighed, maybe Taylor was right, maybe he didn't actually love him. 

Taylor put his hand around Colton's hand and looked at him, wishing he would wake up. He took a deep breathe and started praying. 

At that very moment, as Taylor was staring at Colton, a noise started happening. Taylor looked up at the heart monitor and all he saw was a flat line.