Chapter One

[PLEASE READ REVISED VERSION INSTEAD (BLACK HOLES ALL THE WAY DOWN)]

It's all too familiar.

The way the music's vibrations pound across the floor and run up my body. The intense smell of sweat and alcohol, hands gripping other bodies so desperately it's a wonder they have the time or desire to drink at all. I spin around to take the place in. Drunken girls, mischievous guys, and bad decisions.

I'm sick of it all.

I'm fed up with the way these people jump at the chance to attend one of these things, and how they drink like their lives depend on it. But here I am, prepared to allow enough alcohol to swim through my veins, to make its way to my brain and distort my priorities. I guess, in some twisted way, people really do believe their lives depend on these kinds of events. Because being here and consuming enough liquor means letting go of the problems that take place during the day.

I begin my hunt for the kitchen, making sure to keep my eyes wandering so they don't make contact with anyone else. Most of the minors here are my classmates, and most of my classmates aren't too fond of me. Addie Bishop, for example. Shoulder checking me on her way out of the kitchen as I'm going in is no accident. Hitting me so hard that the light brown liquid in the blue cup she's holding sloshes its way out and onto her wedges might have been.

"Watch it," she snaps. I raise an eyebrow. Her pale blue eyes narrow as she treats me to a look so full of hatred only a high school girl holding a grudge could proffer it.

"Watch it," I mimic in a high pitched voice after Addie has finally had enough of our staring contest and walks away, probably to seduce whatever guy she can in that white, disgusting mini skirt she's wearing.

The kitchen isn't any less packed then the rest of the house but it is somewhat calmer. I grab a blue plastic cup from the stack and start towards the heap of alcoholic beverages on the counter when Jared Owens steps into my view, his trademark smirk perfectly in place.

"Hey Dani," Jared slurs, giving me a look of feigned surprise. His drunken eyes roam my body. I cross my arms over my chest. "Now, what might bring you to my party tonight?" he ponders, tapping his chin with his index finger.

"Just here to get wasted. Like everyone else," I quip, desperately hoping he'll get bored with the conversion and wander elsewhere.

His eyes widen for a short moment. "Shocker," he remarks, sipping from the cup dangling from his fingertips.

"Mind getting out of my way, Owens? Or better yet, out of the country?" I suggest. He chuckles before taking a step forward and removing some of the space between us that I so desperately cherish. His face is now inches from mine. I can easily back up - and trust me, I want to - but I stand my ground, unwilling myself to give him the satisfaction of seeing him get to me.

"You seem a bit stressed, Dani. I know you've had a rough couple of years," he teases, pausing for a moment to study my face for a reaction. Even though my insides are raging, I make myself appear bored to be in his presence. "If you want, I could take you up stairs and help you... release some of that stress."

I can smell the alcohol on his breath, and it's all I can do to keep myself from gagging.

I plant my palm on his chest and lift myself up on my tippy toes before moving my lips close to his ear. It's difficult to suppress my laughter as I catch a glimpse at Jared's new expression. "You want to know what would really release some of my stress." I whisper against his ear, using the best seductive voice that I can muster. "If you would move away to Australia so I'd never have to see your face again."