Chapter Fifteen

Amaruil was woken by the single peal of a bell which rang over Imladris, summoning various elves to Elrond’s council. As she looked out her window she saw her father pacing down the path, obviously late, and for some reason it irked her that he would be invited and not she, even though she knew that Amras was deep in Elrond’s confidence.

She whiled away the morning with a book, knowing that it was more than futile to wait for the end of the meeting; they would be talking for hours and the council would probably last late into the afternoon. Eventually she became restless and made up her mind to find Legolas; she had left the house and was strolling down the path when she remembered that he too had been summoned to the council. “He doesn’t even live here!” she cried in frustration as she began to walk through the trees aimlessly, trusting to the beauty of her surroundings to try and calm her down. Eventually she sunk listlessly onto a stone bench which was still warmed by the rays of the autumn sun and she was sitting in this attitude, staring pensively out at the river, when Legolas found her.

“Mae govannen Amaruil,” he greeted as he sat down beside her.

“Mae govannen,” she replied distractedly, her voice barely louder than a whisper.

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” she replied. “I was just… thinking while I waited for end of the council.”

“About what were you thinking?” Legolas asked curiously.

Amaruil shook her head dismissively. “Many fleeting things, none of which I believe will interest you much. What happened today?”

Legolas stared out at the river as he decided how to phrase what they had discussed that day, but he knew that no number of words would really be able to soften the blow he was about to deliver. “Frodo Baggins brought a ring here,” he began.

“Tancave, I know. It was Bilbo’s; he has told me the story of how he won it, riddling against a creature of the caves.”

Legolas frowned imperceptibly as he continued, “Against Gollum; I have been told.” He barely acknowledged Amaruil’s gasp as she started to piece together the story, and continued, “It is not just any ring. It brings much danger and hardship but also hope. We talked about much which was unimportant and uninteresting today but the fate of Middle Earth has been decided. Frodo will take the Ring to Mordor.”

“But surely it is too dangerous?” Amaruil exclaimed horrified, understanding the power it would exert over him.

“Frodo has already kept it for seventeen years and carried it here; he seems to be our best hope.”

“When does he leave for- When does he leave?” Amaruil asked, unable to stomach the thought of the tiny man heading to Mordor. He had seemd so very young when she had met him at the feast.

“The date has not been set yet; first we must wait for Elrond’s scouts to return and many of them will travel very far.”

“To where are they headed?”

Legolas chewed on his lip slightly as he tried to remember who had headed where. “I know that Aragorn is headed to join up with Elladan and Elrohir, wherever they may be, and that Elrond has sent a number of Elves out, some of whom I believe are expected to meet up with my father.”

“Why did you not go then? Surely you could have accompanied them home, or gone instead?”

His lips pursed a little as he tried to read the inflection in her voice. “Would you rather I had gone too?” he questioned flatly. “I am not returning home until I know all that has happened here. Also, there are things here which tie me to Rivendell,” he said as he stole a glance at Amaruil, who was gazing, oblivious, at the rosy sunset. “There are those much better suited to the job than I anyway,” he added, trying to justify his selfish reason for not offering his services to Elrond.