Chapter 12--Beaten and bruised

I spotted Devin standing next to his car with his back turned.  I ran over to him, trudging my school bag and science book.

    "Hey Devin!"

    "Give me a minute." he said, without turning around.  I peered over his shoulder cautiously and spotted a girl standing there, facing him with an angry look on her face.

    "Shit Melody, I swear!  Nothing happened!"

    "Tell that to the girl standing behind you."

    "We're working on a science project!"

    "Sure you are.  You know what?  Just forget it.  We're over." she said, and stormed off.

    I stood there awkwardly not knowing what to do or say.  He stood there in silence for a moment before unlocking his car.  I got in awkwardly and put my bag on the floor by my feet.  We sat in silence during the entire car ride.  I wanted to apologize but I didn't know how.  

    When we pulled in to his house I was astonished at the enormity of it.  He lived in a gorgeous three-story house.  Devin never struck me as the rich type but he clearly was.  I guess money didn't go to his head like it did for most people.  

    We walked in and he led me up the stairs to his bedroom.  His room was beautiful, neatly furnished but everything in it just breathed luxury.  He sat on his bed and sighed, and I sat down in his swivel desk chair and spun around before finally speaking up.

    "I'm sorry about Melody." I said, sadly.

    He sighed before saying, "It's okay."  He kicked off his shoes and layed back on his bed in thought.

    "I just feel terrible." I said.  "This dumb science project is ruining everything.  Especially for you."

    "Trust me, there are worse things than losing a girl who probably doesn't really love you anyway."

    I shrugged and began spinning again in silent thought.

    "Can I ask you a personal question?" he asked, sitting up.

    "Yeah, sure." I said, stopping the chair.

    "Were you upset when you broke up with Chris?"

    I thought for a minute before answering.  "Honestly, no.  I know it's not really normal, but I realized he's such a player and he was just using me.  There was no reason to be upset.  But you're entitled to being upset, Devin.  Any normal person would be."

    "I guess I'm not normal then." he said with half a smile.

    "What do you mean?"

    "I'm not really upset either.  Obviously she wasn't the one for me." he said.

    I didn't know what to say to that so I just spun around in his swivel chair some more.

    "How about some dinner?" he asked me.

    "Sure!"

    We walked downstairs to the huge kitchen and he opened his fridge.  He pulled out a bunch of ingredients and lay them out on the granite counter.  

    "What's all this?" I asked in disbelief.  I didn't expect him to actually cook anything.

    "I'm going to make us some nachos!" he said enthusiastically.  

    "You don't have to work so hard." I said, sitting down on a bar stool.  "My mom usually cooks awful dinners or we order in.  You could give me cereal and I'd be happy."