Soarana

Chapter 1

Hello, I have no idea what to begin with. You see I have never kept a journal before, ever! But it was recommended to me by the king.  So I will try it. I suppose I should start from the beginning. My name is Addilyn, Addilyn Jane Cooper. I am fifteen years old. I have a mother, a father and a very annoying older brother named Matthew. I sometimes wonder if I will get the chance to see them again. It all started on that day; that horrible yet wonderful day, that life changing day.  It was a Monday. A dreaded Monday. I made sure everything was ready the night before, as I usually do. I made sure my lunch was packed, my outfit was picked out, and my alarm was set. But of course being me the alarm wasn’t set. I woke up and turned around at exactly 7:00. I had missed the bus. My parents are doctors and they leave for work at precisely 6 am every morning. That meant I would have to catch a ride with Matt.

“Uggh!” I said rolling out of bed. I rushed around and got ready then stormed into Matt’s room. “Get up!” I rudely yelled “I missed the bus!” I was ticked.

“Come on Addy!” Matt grumbled getting up and pulling his shorts on. Matts 19 he just graduated but hasn’t gone to college yet because he is taking time to “think about” what he wants to do. I think he is just a lazy guy who wants sit on his butt all day.

  Matt and I climbed up into his crappy truck and drove to the school. The drive was nothing spectacular I do remember dreaming of getting my license as I sat on his crusty seats and listened to his REALLY loud rock music. When we arrived at the school I rushed out of the car, muttered “thank you”, and ran towards the building. One thing you should know about me is I am VERY clumsy. It is like every bad thing that can happen to someone magically happens to me. So as I was running guess what happened? I tripped over Danny Cambell’s leg and fell straight into a mud puddle.

“Oh my gosh!” I said lifting up my mud covered arms, they were dripping with mud. As I started to stand up I spotted Matilda Lion. “Crap.” I muttered to myself. Matilda is one of the meanest girls in the school. She is mean to almost everyone but she is the meanest to me. I never understood why?

“Aww look at poor Addy. Now aren’t we having a fashion crisis?” she said flipping her long black curls.

  “What are you talking about? Haven’t you heard? Mud is so today!” I said trying to act like I was supposed to be dripping with mud. I am not sure I convinced her though. The bell rang and she walked away. Feeling gross I stood up and surveyed the mess. My pink v- neck tee was soiled, my Aeropostle jeans were dark brown, and my converse looked as if I stepped in poo. Actually my whole look looked like poo. I ran into the school and straight into the ladies room. Grabbing as many paper towels as I could, I tried to soak up the mud. 10 minutes later I came out looking worse then I went in looking. But I couldn’t take any longer, my first class was science and Mr. O’Conner was not one to mess with. I waited until I saw Mr. O’Conner’s back turned, and I slipped in. Thank goodness no one saw me! 

  I got through the first half of the day and when lunch came I was feeling pretty good. I sat with my best friend, Delanie. Me and Delanie have been friends ever since kindergarten. We couldn’t be any more opposite! She is 5’9, has chin length black hair, and deep grey eyes. She is sort of a book nerd. She cares very much about her grades and does all things related to school with excellency. Actually she does all things related to life with excellency. I am around 5’5; I have long straight blonde hair and piercing green eyes. I am athletic, and into fashion, not school. Trust me I have tried really hard to like school, but it isn’t my thing. I would much rather be playing soccer than sitting in a science lab dissecting a frog.

“What happened to you?”  Delanie asked sitting next to me

I sighed and answered “I fell into a mud puddle.”

“You know for being athletic you aren’t very coordinated!” she said laughing at me.

 I had to laugh along she had a point. In a soccer field I can run without even coming close to falling, but every other day I can’t seem to walk without getting into some mess. Delanie and I talked for the rest of lunch then headed to the next class. The day went by fairly well. No fights, principal office visits or anything like that.

 When I got home I was exhausted so I decided to lie on my bed. I awoke to a knock on the door. I figured Matt would get it so I turned over and tried to fall back asleep. After about five minutes of knocking I realized Matt wasn’t going to get the door and whoever it was knocking would not go away, so I rolled myself out of bed and walked to the door. “Matt’s stupid friends!” I thought as I opened it. Boy was I surprised! There standing in the doorway was a girl around the age of 16. She was around 5’7, had fiery red hair, bright blue eyes, and freckles splayed across her nose.

“Hello, Addilyn. My name is Holly and I am in charge of bringing you to Soarana.”