Chapter 14: Recovery...

....

".....Iccup.... HICCUP!" Stoick shouted breathlessly, as he glanced around anywhere for a sign of his son, or the night fury in the endless fog of heavy dust.

The man's heart was pounding against his chest, as his wide blue eyes darted around his surroundings on high alert.
"SON!" He called, as his hope quickly began to run out.
He was experiencing many different emotions all at once! Terror, concern, fear, sorrowfully, regret and hopeful.
If anything happened to his son....his only son....by Odin, how much guilt he'd feel for the rest of his life.
His breath was heavy, as he whirled round, about to call out again until he saw it. He froze as he caught sight of a limp body half a mile away, and he let out a breath. For all hope was not lost yet.
"Hiccup..." He breathed, as he began running, though he won't deny- he did stumble, quickly over to the body that lay on the pebbled covered Earth.

After witnessing two figures plundering down from the sky and into the fire, he wasn't sure what had happened to his boy. The chief stopped a few feet from the body, and instantly recognized it.
"T....T-Toothless..." He mummered, as his eyes wondered over to an empty, battered and burned looking saddle.
Stoick let a breath in realization, as he sagged his shoulders, glancing at the burnt off prosthetic tail wing.
He felt his legs begin to shake, and so he collapsed down onto his knees, blinking a few times as he tried to process what was actually happening....
"On son....I-I did this..." The chief muttered.

The rest of Berk's warriors began to crowd around the small scene, in deep silence they all were witnessing their chief about go to break down.
They felt deep pity towards the Viking, having to lose his wife, and now his son, who had just so recently returned from the unkown..
Gobber, Snotlout, and Astrid all shoved their way towards the front of the crowd, letting small gasps Escape their lips at the small scene before them.
Snotlout's breathing increased in realization of his little cousins fate...though they had a rough childhood together, and he wasn't always the kindest of heart...deep down he still really did care for Hiccup.
There was so many things he wanted to make up to him...
But now...?
He has to suffer now, years of regrets of the horrible childhood  experienced he had set on his cousin...
His eyes were slightly filled with tears, as his breath hitched. He could just so faintly hear Astrid gasp in shock...

Toothless slowly gained consciousness, as he lifted his head slightly opening his green eyes to face Hiccups father...
He crooned slightly in question as he seacrched the man's facial expression, which showed sorrow, regret, and brokenness...
He couldn't help but feel bad for the viking...
Stoick gazed softly down at the Night Fury, as they stared each other down for a long moment before he opened his quivering dry mouth.
"I'm so.....I'm so s-sorry..." He whispered, loud enough for the dragon to hear. He knew he had owed the night fury an apology, for what had happened five years ago, and now the loss of Hiccup also...

Toothless's eyes dilated, as he heard the words come out of the man's lips, which he gladly accepted.
Now...this calls for a small gift.
And so,he glanced down as he slowly unwrapped his aching wings, and once they opened, they revealed an unconscious man with cuts and bruises all over his face and hands, his armor looking slightly destroyed from the fire and the accident with the Queen's tail.

At the sight of the auburn haired boy, his eyes widened almost popping out of his head as he scrambled onto his feet and collapsed right in front of the duo.
"Hiccup!" He cried, scooping up the small shape into his massive arms.
"Oh son...Hiccup Hiccup..." He muttered, as he brushed the boys bangs out of his bruised face.
Hiccup's head lollied to the side, revealing blood pouring out from somewhere in the mess of his wild hair, his eyes closed gently and mouth opened slightly...
"Oh son..." He repeated, before he brought the boy's chest up to his ears, prying.