Peeresses

There were two types of Peeress. The most common kind was the wife of a peer. Any woman who was married to a duke, marquis, earl, viscount or baron was a peeress by marriage, but she was still a commoner.

However, there were a small number of Peeresses who held titles Suo Jure. This was a Latin term, meaning "in their own right". The title belonged to them and was inherited by and through them, not their husband.

Because most English dukedoms, marquessates, earldoms and viscountcies were inherited by "heirs male of the body", very few peerages were ever held by women Suo Jure. Even those peerages that were originally granted to women, as the first titleholder, were usually created in such a way that they could only be inherited by male heirs in future generations.

With Scottish peerages and English baronies, it was more common for the title to be inherited by "heirs whatsoever" or "heirs general", which could include daughters in their lines of succession.

Peerages Created for Women

Some peerages were created for women, as the first titleholder, although it was quite rare. A monarch might give a title to a woman to honour a dead husband, and provide a living title for his sons to inherit. She might also be closely connected to a king, like a Royal mistress.

Many of the peerages granted to women were life peerages only, and they became extinct on the death of the recipient. Of the others, most continued only through the male line.

Seven Duchesses in their own right were created between 1397 and 1820. Of these only one title survived to the Regency period, and it continued through the male line only.

Only two Marchionesses in their own right were created between 1532 and 1820. Of these, one was a life peerage, and the other—belonging to Anne Boleyn—was forfeit upon her execution.

Twenty-four Countesses in their own right were created between 1618 and 1820. Eighteen were extinct prior to 1800. Of the other six, five of them continued only through the male line.

Of the three countesses alive during the Regency period, the Countess of Wicklow died in 1807, at which point her son inherited and the title continued through the male line. The Countess of Bath died childless in 1808, when the title became extinct. The Countess de Gray lived until 1833, after which the de Gray earldom continued through the male line.

Nine Viscountesses in their own right were created between 1623 and 1820. The earliest of these, the Viscountess Maidstone, become a subsidiary title of the Earl of Winchelsea, descending through male heirs. Three were life peerages, extinct before 1780, while two continued only through the male line.

Of the two viscountesses alive after 1800, the Viscountess Newcomen died in 1817 and the Viscountess Ferrard died in 1821. In both cases, the titles continued through the male line.

Thirty-three Baronesses in their own right were created between 1620 and 1820. The earliest of these, the Baroness Offally, descended through male heirs before becoming a subsidiary title of the Duke of Leinster. Twelve became extinct prior to 1800 and seven continued through the male line before 1800.

The Oriel barony, created in 1790, was a subsidiary title of the Viscountess Ferrard, who died in 1821, while the Baroness Bath was a subsidiary title of the Countess of Bath, who died childless in 1808.

Lady Kilwarden died in 1804, at which time the barony became a subsidiary title of the Viscount Kilwarden. Grace Toler was created Baroness Norwood in 1797, and on her death in 1822, it continued through the male line as a subsidiary title of the Earls of Norbury. Susannah Hood, 1st Baroness Hood, died in 1806, at which point it continued through the male line and is now a subsidiary title of Viscount Hood.