Chapter Four

Sam up there ^
----------------------

"I think-I think when it's all over, it just comes back in flashes, you know? It's like a kaleidoscope of memories. It just all comes back."

*Flashback*
2 Years Earlier
I stood looking at myself in the mirror. I had on a casual black chiffon dress that I had paired with some converse. As I continued to look in the mirror I kept finding flaws and pointing them out to Leah.
"Chill out." I turn to look at her. "You're going to shit your pants you're stressing so much. You look hot. Not that it matters, unless your totally into Sam?" She says raising an eyebrow. I instantly feel my cheeks flush red and turn back around before she can see. "You do know it's a mirror right? I can still see you." Her laughter fills the room.
"I'm sorry." I say jumping on the bed next to her. "I know you like him."
"Lacey, that ship has long sailed. I haven't liked him in years. I think the only reason I did was because he was they boy next door, literally." She says referring to Sam being her neighbor.
"It doesn't matter any way. He doesn't like me like that." I say as my face falls.
"You are seriously the blindest person I've ever met." She says nudging my shoulder. "He's totally into you."
"No he's not. I'm a freshman and he's a junior. I'm like a little sister to him." I say.
"Then you guys have some serious issues and stuff going on because you totally like each other." She days going back to filing her nails.
"You think he likes me?" I say hopefully.
Sam Webster. He was the High School basketball star. He alway talked about how amazing it would be to wake up every morning to play basketball for a living. He aspired to be so much. I'd had a crush on Sam for forever. We, being me and Leah and him and his best friend, only recently started hanging out. All I can say is that I fell hard and fast.
"He asked me if you'd be at my house this weekend then invited "us" over after I said yes. So yes." She said matter-of-factly.
I felt a smile grow onto my face. I really hoped Leah's intuition was right. Sam was someone I had grown really close to, he was trustworthy and really knew how to make me laugh. He was there for me through all my family stuff. He was perfect.
I could feel the butterflies grown in my stomach as we walked up his porch. I stood behind Leah getting nervous. She knocked on the door and my heart rate instantly sped up. This happens every time I see Sam. I've got it bad.
"Leah, hey." He says answering the door. She walks through giving him a simple 'hello' and then leaves me alone. I give myself a little reminder to hit her for that later. "Lacey, I'm glad you came."
"Me too." I say as he steps forward hugging me. The nerves instantly disappear as he makes me feel more comfortable.
"Come in!" He says pulling me inside and into the living room. There were a few beer cans set out.
"You're drinking?" I ask nonchalantly.
"I only had one but do you want one?" He asks heading over to the fridge with me following.
"No thanks, it's not really my thing." I say acting cool about the whole thing. I always thought that if drinking made you 'cool' consider me forever a loser.
"That's cool." He says handing me a soda. That was Sam, he never pressured anybody about any thing. He was one of the nice guys, the world needed a lot more of. He was unforgettable.
................................................................
A few hours later Leah was completely drunk off her ass. Everybody was in a uncontrollable fit of laughter. Her and Kyle, Sam's best friend, were completely smashed.
"You know what I bet would be fun? The beach." Leah said, her expression was one if which looked like she just had the most amazing idea but everyone just laughed her off.
"That doesn't sound like a bad idea." I say looking at Sam.
"I don't know." He says cautiously. "I've been drinking."
"Oh come on! You said yourself you only had one drink." I say to him. "Pleaaaaaase." I draw out begging.
"We have a pool, you know." He said to all of us.
"But the beach would be so much fun." I attempt to persuade him.
"Yeah. Listen to your girlfriend!" Kyle try's to persuade also. He only embarrasses Sam though and watch as his cheeks flame red.
With my sudden burst of confidence, you'd think I had 20 beers because what I said next even I couldn't believe. "Yeah, listen to me."
There was a small silence before Sam spoke up.
"Okay." He says as a smile grows on his face.
Leah and Kyle were instantly on there feet and we were all headed out the door. I felt Sam grab my arm stopping me right before I walked out the door separating us from the other two. His pull caused me to fall into his chest. I was inches from his face. My breath was caught in my lungs. The tension was almost unbearable, the good kind though. I watch him closely as he leaned in closer towards me. My heart rate quickened once again. Just as our lips were about to touch the car horn sounded.
"We better go." He says. We stood there for a second longer before he grabbed my hand pulling me out the door.
As I climbed into the car Leah eyed me. I could tell she wanted all the details but she would just have to wait. I didn't even know what the hell just happened. I was so confused, after everything that happened in the last five minutes I didn't know how to act around him. Do I act like a girlfriend? Do I act like a friend? I had no idea.
We pulled up to the beach about ten minutes later and I still hadn't a clue what to do. I climbed out of the car being met by Sam. He smiled down at me before grabbing my hand intertwining our fingers.
Lean and Kyle ran to the water hand in hand and I made a mental note to ask her later what that was all about. Sam lead me to the bench on the side walk just above the beach and we sat down.
"I wonder what that's all about." he says motioning towards them and reading my mind.
"I have no idea." I said laughing. Sam looks over at me.
"I like the way you laugh." He says pulling me closer to him. This was it. It was going to happen and there would be no interruptions.
My heart skipped a beat as his lips connected with mine. His hand found it's way up to my face and mine intertwined around his neck. This was real, Sam Webster was really kissing me. Me, boring old Lacey Kane. It wasn't exactly what I imagined simply because I could taste the beer but it wasn't any less perfect.
He pulled away still looking at me. "What?" I asked.
"Nothing. I just- I've wanted to do that for forever." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. Suddenly his lips were looking even more attractive and I kissed him once more.
"Why didn't you?" I help my face close to his.
"Because I was scared."
"No way. I think you're lying." I said laughing.
"I'm not." He chucked.
"There's no way Sam Webster was scared to kiss a girl, not even me." My heart sped again when he grabbed my hand.
"Especially you." Was all he said.
"But now you can kiss me anytime you want. If you want that, I mean." I didn't know exactly what I was saying or asking.
"I want that." I didn't know what he was agreeing to either.
I smiled at him and then we began kissing once more. It was truly incredible really. Sam was kissing me out if all the girls that wanted him. He chose me.
I always imagined my first kiss being special and it being with a special person and that's exactly what I got. I was on top of the world. On cloud nine. Little did I know what was to come.
"Can I tell you a secret?" I asked him as we walked back to the car hand in hand. I looked back to see if Leah and Kyle had began to trail behind us yet but they had only just gotten out of the water. I didn't want them to hear what I was about to admit.
"Yeah. You can tell me anything." He said smiling. We came to a hault infront of the car.
"That-that was my first kiss." I said as my cheeks flushed. "And I wanted to tell you because I really like you."
"Wow. I didn't know. Was I okay? Because you deserved something good, like magical." I laughed at his nervousness. He really cared about me.
"It was. It was magical." I mimicked. His beautiful laughter rang in my ears.
"I really like you too." He pecked my lips. "Which is why you have the potential to break my heart. I mean completely crush it. Into a million pieces."
"Well okay. I tell you you were my first kiss and you tell me I could destroy you. No pressure." I laughed. I did that a lot with him. He made really happy.
"It's all good. I'm not worried about it." He acted cooly. I shoved his arm and he almost fell over.
"Woah, I guess I had a little more to drink than i thought." We both broke out into a fit of laughter.
"Enough. Let's get food. You are sitting with me." Leah yelled still clearly drunk. I pouted at so she would know I wanted to sit with Sam but she ignored me. I shrugged and followed her into the backseat.
"Let's put on some tunes!" Kyle yelled turning the music up to ear damaging level. I looked at Leah laughing and singing along.
This moment is perfect, I thought.
We stopped at a red light. I looked at Sam in the mirror and he looked at me smiling. I stuck my tongue out at him and motioned towards the green light.
"Go." I mouthed. He rolled his eyes at me and tapped the gas lightly.
I smiled at him before I saw something in the corner of my eye. I turned to see lights heading straight towards us.
"SAM!!" I screamed. A saw the car and my friends all jerked towards the right. I watched as Kyle was flung from the vehicle and Leah pressed her hands against the glass trying to prevent collision with her head. Sam's and my side of the car collided with a white fence and my head collided with the back of his seat. There was only collision before everything turned black.
Correction. This moment was perfect.
----------------------------------------------