CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

The next day Rose immediately called Julie into her office. "I know it's short notice," Rose said, "but could you pull a sample menu together right away? Some really important prospective clients just called out of the blue and they are in a rush. It would really help me out. Tyce is already putting together some suggestions for music, and Anne sent over a selection of dress designs a few minutes ago."

Julie hadn't seen much of The Rose Chalet's resident DJ or dress designer, given that Tyce Smith did much of his mixing in his home recording studio and, according to Phoebe, Anne was a close friend of Rose's who seemed to enjoy more flexibility than anyone else who worked at the Chalet.

"Sure," Julie replied with a smile. "I'll just need to pick up some ingredients at the market."

If Rose wanted Julie to help out with another wedding, couldn't that easily become another wedding after that, and then another, until Julie slid right into a permanent position?

Just what she wanted. A safe, regular cooking position she could count on.

Not bland, no matter what Andrew said.

"When are they stopping by?"

"Not until four," Rose replied. "I know this is very last minute, but please, if you could make sure this is a good menu-"

"It will be fantastic," Julie promised, and she swore to herself that it would be.

With that in mind, she headed down to the local markets and delicatessens, looking for inspiration. Rose wanted something special for this wedding, and Julie wasn't going to let her down.

Every dish was going to be spectacular; a literal feast for the senses. If being on set yesterday with Andrew had proven one thing, it was that she did have the skills to cope with unexpected work on command. And the skills to do it well.

She was halfway through her shopping trip when she stopped by her favorite cheese shop. As she walked in she looked up and could not believe her eyes. Andrew was talking to a woman serving behind the counter.

Somehow, he even managed to make selecting cheese look incredibly sexy.

Julie quickly checked that thought. She hadn't let herself think about the brief moment of connection they'd had yesterday, and she wasn't going to start now.

But that vow became a lot harder when Andrew turned around and spotted her, treating her to a smile that could have lit up the entire store.

"Julie, what luck seeing you here!"

It was all she could do to stifle a sigh of resignation. She'd been hoping her luck was about to change, but it seemed fate had other ideas.

Julie tried not to be nervous as his eyes scanned the items in her shopping basket. "I thought I might try one or two new things with a bride and groom Rose is wooing."

Andrew let out a short laugh. "I knew I'd convert you. I can't wait to taste what you come up with. Are you free now?"

"Actually, Rose scheduled the menu tasting for the new clients this afternoon. It would be better if we shifted our meeting to tomorrow instead." Or, preferably, to the fifth of never.

She half expected Andrew to refuse, because he was the big star with the tight schedule, but all he said was an easy, "Tomorrow would be fine." She was momentarily mesmerized by his smile, just long enough for him to add, "But only if you agree to go out for lunch with me now."