It Begins

But if he's after me, why would he attack her?"

"We don't know he's after you." 

"Yes, but you don't know that he isn't after me. I'm not willing to let him hurt anyone trying to get to me, even the Mantons."

Mrs. Manton looks up with a bewildered look on her face, "Why would you defend us?  We don't need you to defend us we can more than handle ourselves."

I turn away so she can't see the annoyance that's playing on my face making me pinch the upper part of my nose. My father looks at me and gives me the, 'don't say it Ana you'll just make things worse'. By this time everyone in the room is watching me for my reaction to her comment.

"I don't for a second doubt that all of you could defend yourself. But right now it isn't about you being able to defend yourself it's about how easily he can take you down without even blinking. This person is so powerful he doesn't even have to be in the room with you to hurt you."

I can tell by the way she's looking at me she doesn't believe a word I said. She's so arrogant that she believes that nothing other than things God has made has that kind of  power. Even though she pissed me off beyond belief I couldn't let her get hurt. I also knew that if he was truly back for me that he wouldn't stop until there was nothing in his way. My father and my brother would definitely be those obstacle. 

Mrs. Manton rolls her eyes and walks out of the room. I can hear her suffelling around  in the next room obviously trying to make sure that Janine is ok. I hear Janine ask, "How's Andrew and Ana?"

Mrs. Manton responds with malice in her voice, "Still alive unfortunately. Hopefully, not for long."

"Mom! I can't believe you said that we were supposed to be good and not wish someone dead."

Her mother looks up and says, "THEY are scum, pure evil, Janine. They shouldn't even be able to walk this great earth He made. Them just being here is nothing more than the worse blashempy ever done. I will not tolerate you defending them or befriending that Ana, girl, do I make myself fully clear?"

There was a long pause then Janine answered, "Fine, but only because you out rank me. I don't think Ana is as bad as your making her out to be."

"The only reason I haven't killed her is because she fits into the plan. She's the only thing that would be enough to lure him out so we can finish him off. It's working so far, I knew that if he knew she was here he'd come running."

I can't describe the feeling that pushed through me when I heard her say that. If it it hadn't been for Max I probably would have said a few choice words maybe adding in some violent actions. Janine suddenly comes stomping back into the room were all in. She looks over to me and gives me a half smile almost saying I'm sorry for my mother. Right behind her was Mrs. Manton and behind her was Andrew. I had been so involved in the conversation they were having I hadn't heard what my father, Mr. Manton, my brother, and Max had been saying until I heard my father ask, "Are you sure it's him?"

"I saw her memories and no one has those color eyes except him."

"What happened to all those "sharp" vampire senses you have?" Mrs. Manton jumps in. 

"Trust me I'd know if he was here he couldn't have escaped my fine tuned senses."

"Hmm this is extraordinary. His powers gotten stronger through the years." My father said. 

"It's possible, but he's not match for me."

"Arrogance will get you no where, Marie," my father snaps.

"Hmm, don't call me that!"

He laughs and says, "It's your middle name, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. I've not been called that in several decades."