Chapter four

Will glanced over at the clock in the corner of his room. 8AM. He led his eyes astray to the body next to him. Jem was sleeping soundlessly on his front, his mouth slightly open, and a hand underneath his pillow.

Will was beginning to wonder if last night was such a good idea after all. It seemed so natural at 3AM, so right. He wasn’t sure how this was going to be explained to the institute. Would Jem want the institute to know? Would he want to continue this charade? Will was questioning whether he wanted to continue this himself, and he knew some part of him wanted to.

Will decided to get up, and put on his clothes. It was just as well no one else decided to knock on his door this morning, for this would be a rather difficult situation to explain.

He decided to go downstairs for breakfast, leaving Jem asleep in his bed.

Will was exceptionally paranoid today, thinking that somehow people knew what had happened last night and they were going to bring it up at any minute.

Henry focused on him for just a little bit too longer than usual; making Will think that he might have a suspicion about him. He was praying that this was not the case.

Whilst Will was buttering a scone, Jem sat down in the seat opposite his parabatai. Will looked up, startled of his presence, and continued buttering his scone as not to cause any more suspicion. He had then realized he was buttering his hand, rather than the scone, and quickly wiped it away before anyone noticed.

The way Jem was staring at Will, he was going to give the whole night away. Will stared back at Jem, signalling with his eyes that Jem should look away. Jem, after a long and nerve racking minute, got the picture, and focused his eyes downwards onto the table of food before him.

“Where were you last night, Jem? I came to your room this morning and you were not there.” Tessa exclaimed.

Will shot a look at Jem, and Jem, in turn did the same.

“Erm…I er…”

“Jem was in the institute library last night, he must have fallen asleep there. “ Will lied.

“Yes, that’s it, I fell asleep in the library. I’m sorry, once I get hold of a good book it’s hard to put it down.”

It was not like Jem to lie, in fact, Jem never lied, he hated lies, and he hated liars. He would have hated Will had he not lied for his sake and his sake alone. Will never lied to Jem, and for that, Jem was grateful, and could excuse any lie that he might tell someone else.

Jessamine shot a suspicious look at the both of them, smiled, and continued with her breakfast.

“I fancy another stroll today.” Jessamine smirked.

“Don’t worry, I shan’t ask if you wish for my company.” Will joked.

“Actually, I was thinking your company might be just perfect, you see, I thought we’d discuss demon philosophy, and the best places to buy underwear, or is that something you and Jem like to discuss yourselves?”

Will’s eyes darted to Jessamine, his breathing heavier.

Jessamine knew.