8.5

He accepted her offer
and countered with one of his own. "You have a very forward manner. I like that. Join me for dinner tonight?"

We have the same nose, the same chin, the same eyes. How do you not see that?

"Certainly, I'd be honored." Her fingernails dug into her palms.

"Excellent. Eight o'clock, my house. My assistant will give you the rest of the details."

"I already have your address." He raised a brow, so she added, "My company is very thorough.

She glanced at the composite photo on the onyx desk. The family photo featured Moretz, a blonde-haired woman and two grown children: a girl and a young man. The girl worried Ada momentarily, but the young man worried her more.

"Lovely family," she said. It was a way to change the subject, as he hadn't seemed satisfied at her stalker-fied answer of already having his address.

Moretz looked down at the picture absently. "Oh yes. Thank you."

"The young man... He's your son, correct?"

"Yes." He sounded amused.

"It's weird. I think I met him, earlier today. Right before this meeting." Ada hadn't planned on this part in the conversation. Truth wasn't supposed to enter into any part of their meeting.

"Really? What a coincidence." The way Moretz said coincidence implied he didn't believe it at all. "Where did you meet him?"

"Hunt's Coffee Bar."

"May I ask what you were doing there?"

"Getting a caramel macchiato."

He leaned back, eyes skewed and lips tightened. He accepted her answer, and she could tell he did because of what he said next.

"Hunt's Coffee Bar. Phennell loves that place. I'm sure you dazzled him with your smile." He winked.

"Yes, maybe."

Ada struggled to remain composed. She had met her half-brother today without even realizing it. Between them, there were no noticeable physical attributes to tie their lineage together. A blond Adonis passed Ada the cream and sugar at Hunt's, and they exchanged pleasant conversation. She found him quite attractive. Now her stomach turned at the thought.

"Well, eight o'clock. See you tonight, Miss Muth."

Dismissed. She stood to leave. "Thank you for your time. See you tonight, sir."

"Sir?" Moretz feigned a look of hurt. "You met my son today, and you and I are on the way to becoming very good friends." The subliminal subtext was clear. "Please, call me Brontes."

"Brontes," she echoed. "See you tonight."

On her way out of the office, the assistant reminded her to dress formally and appropriately. She smiled wanly. Right. The idea of dressing formally and appropriately was funny to her for different reasons than the obvious. Moretz wanted a good lay; he didn't care what she dressed like. But she would be careful in her clothing selection because tonight was important.

How should one dress to a patricide?

~*~