Chapter 10

Audrey walked back and forth in Charlotte's room, her heels sinking into the plush carpet with each step and each turn making her dress swish around her legs. It was a deep red dress that draped above her knees in the front and fell to her ankles in the back. She liked this dress because it was long enough to conceal her knife holsters and fun to dance in, when dancing was needed. Charlotte walked out of her closet holding her hair up, her eyes searching the room.

"Audy have you seen my gold butterfly clip, I can't seem to find it."

"No, I haven't."

"Can you run down the hall and ask Lilly if she took it?"

"Sure."

Audrey left the room and walked down the hallway, as she was passing the staircase she saw Jenna walking up.

"Hi Jenna." Audrey said.

Jenna looked up from the stairs and smiled. Her face was round and soft, topped off with a head of short dark curls. Audrey knew her to be in her early thirties but her smile took off years.

"Hi Audrey. Nice dress." Jenna said.

Her voice was light and cheery.

"Thanks. Any new gossip for me?"

Jenna laughed and it seemed to float through out the hallway.

"Always, how much time do you got?"

"Sounds like not enough. How late are you up tonight? Maybe I'll stop by the kitchens and add my bit to the pot."

"After tonight's party we will definitely be up." Jenna said.

She smiled and moved down the hallway in the direction of Charlotte's room.

The maids had been the first people Audrey had made friends with when she started working for the Astor's, quickly getting caught up on everything. She often found herself down in the kitchens sitting around the table listening to Jenna and Darcy talk about all they knew and what they had learned from other maids.

Audrey lightly knocked on the last door in the hallway and a sweet voice floated from under the door.

"Come in."

Audrey pushed open the door and locked eyes with Lilly's reflected eyes.

"Hi Audy. Come in." Lilly said.

Her room was the opposite of Charlotte's, the main color of the room was light blue and accented through out in pillows and picture frames was the color yellow. Where Charlotte's room exuded luxury and maturity Lilly's room still held the youthfulness of her age with posters pinned to the walls. Audrey walked over to where Lilly sat at her vanity fixing her hair. A new poster hung to the left side of the vanity, the guy in the poster had tanned skinned, dark hair and dark mischievous eyes. A guitar was slung over his shoulder and his arms where loosely crossed in front of him.

"Whose this?" Audrey asked, pointing to the poster.

"Knox Hamilton."

"Another singer?"

"Yes, he's so hot." Lilly said, dreamily, staring at the poster her chin resting on her hand.

"What happened to the other guy?"

"Sebastian Colfax?"

"Yeah."

Audrey looked around and found the poster that held Sebastian Colfax, brown hair, blue eyes and a shy smile.

"Oh he's still around, he just got married though so he's off the market as where Knox is still free, I'm pretty sure."

"Aren't you a little young?"