Chapter Eighteen

While Sebastian busied himself finishing breakfast for the Young Master, he also kept a close eye on the Borrower nearby who was hungrily but happily chowing down on a warm scrambled egg. He was able to keep the smile off his face but wasn't going to lie to himself that she wasn't the reason for it. 

Her small emerald eyes turned in his direction, and his stomach churned in disgust. Suddenly, it clicked with him. "Ah! Now I know why something about your appearance made me sick."

Kadence's lips curled downward and she met his eyes with a slightly sad look. "I know I'm not the prettiest girl but-"

Sebastian chuckled deeply and raised a hand to silence her. "No, my apologies. I didn't mean it that way. Your eyes and your hair are the exact same as a certain Grim Reaper I know who is absolutely revolting. You are...er, not unattractive. But you also resemble a male whom I would rather keep as far away from me as possible."

"So I look like a man?" Kadence took another small bite from the chunk of egg that rested in her hands. She kept her gaze locked on the butler, whom for the first time appeared to be at a loss for words, fumbling over them with furrowed brows.

"N-No, what I mean, er, I-" The raven-haired butler stopped trying to speak and softly cleared his throat, regaining his composure as he turned the pancakes in the skillet over. "Grell Sutcliff is a male who I think believes he is female. He looks like a woman without the needed body parts to be a woman."

Kadence felt a weight lifted from her heart and her from was quickly replaced with a wide smile. "Oh! I feel a little better now, yes. That would make sense. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." Finishing her egg piece, she rose to her feet and smoothed the creases from her skirt.

He could hear the sincerity in her voice, and this time didn't bother to hide his smile. "You needn't apologize, the way I was speaking indeed sounded insulting. I do believe breakfast is done. Would you like to help me serve it once I get the Master? I'm afraid you cannot come with me to wake him. I do have my duties after all."

Kadence looked around the large kitchen, her eyes lingering on windows and doors. While she'd like to agree that she could be by herself, with how many men had been showing up that seemed to know about her, she truly felt safer with the demon butler that could keep her from harm. She only looked at Sebastian, trying to think of what to say.

Sebastian could easily see her hesitance and pulled his gloves back over his hands. He could remove them in front of her now and would do so to cook and wash the dishes. Once his gloves were on, he lowered his hand and used his fingers to scoop her gingerly into an open palm. "How about this? I'll simply leave you on a table in the hall outside his bedroom. That way all you have to do is call my name if you need my assistance."

Kadence bit back a squeak of surprise when she was pushed into his fingers. Her heart rate increased, but she silently told herself she was safe in his hands. His words were comforting, and she agreed. She would definitely feel better if that was how it went.

And so it was. Sebastian did as he said he would, and Kadence sat on her knees just outside the Master's bedroom door. That was something she needed to discuss with either Sebastian or Ciel if she had to though. That word. Master.

Sure, she was a servant there now, but the word 'Master' felt different for her. It made her feel entirely like she had no will of her own, which wasn't the case. She didn't want any of them to start thinking she was some sort of pet.

Then again, perhaps she was reading too much into it. Mayhaps it was just her own paranoia that caused her to think this way. 

The wooden door creaked open, the Young Earl emerging first dressed for the day in a navy blue suit that was only slightly darker than her uniform. His one uncovered eye turned in her direction, and a wave of confidence spread throughout her body.

In a clear, unwavering voice Kadence spoke. "Good morning, Lord Ciel. I hope you slept well." Accompanying her voice, a smile remained on her lips. And just to top it all off, she attempted to curtsy, gripping the skirt and apron while bending at the waist. 

The Earl's expression remained emotionless, but his blue eye was observing her in an almost curious manner. His eye gave away his surprise, his shock how polite and calm she managed to appear. 

After the very brief, one-sided interaction he walked off down the hall without a single word to the Borrower or even the butler that now stood next to the table where Kadence stood.

"What enticed you to do that after being so frightened?" Sebastian questioned curiously as he set his hand flat near the redheaded female, his crimson orbs flickering back and forth between her and his Master who just then vanished around the corner. 

"To be honest, I'm not sure. I just suddenly felt like I needed to say something. I do work here now, and it wouldn't really be fitting of me to stutter and cower everytime he nears me." Kadence pursed her lips as she finished speaking, stepping slowly into the gloved hand. "Do you think he'll be angry?"

"I think you left him speechless. I believe he planned on scaring you when he left his room, but when you spoke it left him unsure." Sebastian smirked, curling his fingers to keep her steady. It was always a pleasure when Ciel grew flustered, speechless. It was unlike him, and with how much he can torment Sebastian, it was wonderful when something would happen to the boy, as the demon couldn't really do the punishing himself. 

"Are we going to talk to him about whatever training I am supposed to do?" Kadence decided to change the topic, not liking the idea of Ciel wanting to scare her again.

Sensing the sudden discomfort, Sebastian obliged to speak of something else. "Yes, that would be best. While the other three are busy, we will explain to you just what you shall be doing to be of more assistance to the Master."

His eyes told her just what that meant. It meant that if she could be of more use than just what minimal she already was doing, the Earl would be more open to letting her live. Kadence inhaled deeply and smiled at the raven haired butler. "It may not be easy, but I will do my best."