Chapter Seventeen: In Plain Sight

Here's another chapter because I actually had some time to update this week!
Please Vote/Comment :)

I hated myself for thinking of Donovan sexually in such an inappropriate setting. He didn't like me and he made that very clear everyday. There was no reason for me to think of him in a sexual sense. Sure he was handsome, and powerful, and his presence was prominent, but he was cold.

Looking at him made me realize what many of the Lush clients lacked. They wanted that type of power and they probably wanted the aesthetic attractive features as well. When a man like Donovan entered a place like Lush all the girls flocked with hope that they'd get chosen. Moreover, if Donovan himself entered a place like Lush it would be a field day full of distraction. The push up bras would be adjusted, lipstick reapplied, and flirtation set to 98 percent.

But he was clearly smart about his business at Lush. He probably never entered through the main doors and never stepped foot past the third floor offices. It was the best bet to avoid the female vultures.

"It looks like it's gonna rain." Phil peeked past the dashboard. "You still want to grab lunch at Russo's?" He asked, quickly glancing back.

Donovan leaned forward and nodded.

I was glad that he called the shots in that moment because I hadn't eaten since last night and it was already noon.

Phil pulled into the lot of a restaurant as it began to drizzle.

"Get yourself something but be back in fifteen minutes." Donovan sounded peeved as he stepped out and waited for me to follow. He took my hand and rushed me inside so that we wouldn't get wet.

"Is he not allowed to eat with us?" I asked. Donovan grabbed two menus from the front and then lead us to a booth in the corner.

"He needs to be attentive." We sat down and he slid a menu to me.

"Am I allowed to order something too?" Donovan gave me a twisted look.

"Is that a serious question?"

"Well-yeah I-"

"Rosemary, just order what you want please." He shook his head. His response put the slightest smile across my lips. So slight that I didn't even realize I was doing it until I noticed my reflection in the metal napkin dispenser.

I skimmed the menu carefully, not wanting to draw a blank the way I did last night when we went to that dingy diner. My eyes paused at the familiar entrées.

"Lamb stew" I whispered to myself.

"Huh?" I looked up and shook my head not realizing that I said it aloud.

"Sorry, I just remembered Char-" I stopped myself and bit my lip.

"Go on."

"Uh no, I shouldn't."

"Charlotte?" He asked.

"Yes, she made me it for the first time last month." I cleared my throat and closed my menu. "It-it was good."

"So order it." Donovan insisted.

"I couldn't. I don't like-memories." I folded my hands in my lap. Donovan nodded, setting aside his menu as our glasses were filled with ice water by the waiter.

"I've seen you at Lush."

"You have?" I tilted my head.

"You ran out of a room. Passed right by me before I warned Greene."

"You warned him?"

"Two days before we killed him. He was in there because he was hiding from me. I thought I'd surprise him that night." Donovan chuckled. "I didn't remember you until last night when you looked me in my eyes." He leaned forward on his elbows, looking right at me.