Chapter One: Social

Chapter One: Social

"Will you stop fantasizing about him and actually say hi?" Lei, my courageous friend pressed. She has sudden mood swings and is quite possessive. Although I'm the opposite, leaning more on the docile and shy side, we've learned to befriend each other. It took us a while to get to this stage in our friendship where one can read the others emotions.

She can be stubborn, insisting that I'm wrong when her feelings are in plain sight. Of course, it works the other way around.

"You know I don't cope well with others, especially him! He's like the King of the school and I'm the servant. People like me, don't belong with people of his type." I tried to escape the opportunities to talk to him. I didn't think we belonged near each other, let alone socializing.

"Excuses. Typical you." She sighed.

"Pushy. Classic Lei." I teased.

"I just want you to talk to him. It doesn't matter if he's at the top of the school or at the bottom with us. You're a fabulous girl and he's an exceptionally good looking guy. Just say something to him. At least wave hello!" Lei wouldn't let go of the conversation and the fact that I didn't want to.

I made an unsure face, and then shook my head.

"You can't even manage a simple hello?" She questioned me, shocked.

"Lei, I'm afraid not." I nervously let out a quick short laugh.

"Okay then we'll have to rely on plan B." She smirked.

"W-wait what's plan B?" I asked, not knowing what she meant.

"Hey do you need to throw away your garbage? I'm done with my lunch." She suddenly asked. Without waiting for an answer, she stood up, and raised one eyebrow.

I hesitated, and then rose from my seat.

"Don't avoid my question; what's plan B?" I asked once again, while walking beside her to the garbage can.

"Hey, did you finish your English homework? I don't know what question twenty is asking." Lei questioned me nonchalantly. What the hell are you doing? I accused her in my head.

We threw away our garbage, dumping the scraps into the over flowing bin. We headed back towards our seat as my patience was wearing thin.

"Lei what's--" I began but she suddenly cut me short.

"Plan B!" She shouted then shoved me towards Max, my not so secret crush. I quickly caught myself, and then rushed back to Lei.

"What the hell Lei?" I hissed quietly as we walked back to our seats.

"You have to learn to speak up. Girl, you have social issues and I'm going to fix them." She inquired.

"Like pushing me towards the main source of my problems will help?" I asked.

"You're facing your fears, that way, you'll get over them quicker." She simply added.

"I'm not sure that's how it works with me." I sighed.

"God Naomi, why are you so afraid of people?" Lei questioned.

"No clue. To be honest, my self confidence is plummeting and my trust issues are rising. I've never been this terrified of people." I whispered.

"Well I am going to fix that." She stated proudly.

"Lei, you keep saying that but really, I'm not sure what I have is cure able." I doubted her. I appreciated that she was willing to offer help towards my dilemma, but what I needed was something else.

We sat down at our table, and continued to discuss the situation.

"Hey, I used to be really shy. You know that. So maybe what I did to become louder may work for you. For example, I talked to people. It's a start, right? So how about you just walk over there and--"

"No." I stated firmly.

"Well then how did we become friends? You talked to me. Just pretend like they're me when we first met. That simple Naomi." Lei sat back.

"It's not that easy. You know I stutter. I can't make eye contact and I have absolutely nothing to say. Even muttering a simple hi is a big task for me!" I cried in agony.

"How the heck are you going to live when you get older?" She asked herself.

"I don't know what to do Lei. I'm stuck. Absolutely, with no doubt, stuck." I buried my face into the palms of my hands. I didn't know what to think anymore. I've been more and more paranoid every time I step out of my bedroom and into a world filled with people. I never was social as a kid growing up, but I didn't have a huge problem with talking. Now it's out of control. I can't go anywhere in public without feeling judged.

"Hey, I'm here. I always will be! That's what best friends are for." She exclaimed, just before the bell. It rang a few seconds after she smiled warmly. I removed my hands from my face and mirrored her emotions.

"Come on, we'll be late for class." She said as she got up. We both walked out of the cafeteria, side by side, ready to have each others back. It was nice; knowing you're protected. The world around me drops and disappears along with other worries. Having someone that loves you as a friend is rare, and is like a prize. Fortunately, I got lucky, and I have a strong friendship. I don't what the heck I did to earn it. I feel like Lei and I will have a bond for quite some time.