Scared?

As Johnny waited for the fall, he put his hands out behind him, ready to catch himself. He wouldn't have thought someone would catch him, "You okay Johnnycakes?" Pony asked him. Until Ponyboy caught him.

Johnny looked up, surprised, "Yeah, thank you Pony." Johnny wipes off his shorts with his hands, while Mr. Whyter comes up from behind, "Are you okay Johnny?"

"M'fine." Johnny replied faintly. Johnny wasn't thinking of himself, he was thinking of Emi the whole time, "C'mon," he started, he grabbed Pony's hand, dragging him to his classroom, "Emi is sad, I want, no, need, you to help me remind her that Dally will be back for her at the end if the day. Usually I need the reassurance, but today she needs it." Johnny looked up at Ponyboy with his cute puppy eyes, "pwease?" He asked cutely at the end.

Ponyboy softened when he heard Johnny talk. The kids have soft spots for each oher, and if someone heard their words, they'd think they're older. I hope they're like this when they're older, Pony couldn't help but think. "Anything for either of you Johnnycakes."

---

Upon approaching the classroom, Mr. Whyter walks towards Ms. Snickumbs' direction, while Ponyboy and Johnny head towards the bathroom where Emi is. Pony taps on the door lightly, "You okay Emi?" He regretted asking almost instantly when he heard her sniffles. He mentally cussed himself out, "You wanna come out?" He lamely tried. He tried to think of something else to use. Looking at his backpack Mr. Whyter gave him, he remembered, "I've got chocolate cake for you!" He sang to her through the door. He say cross cross on the ground while giving Johnny a slice.

Why did I bring three pieces of chocolate cake? He quickly brushed that thought away, as he saw the door opening, with a teared eyed Emi coming out. "Really?" She asked.

Ponyboy opened his arms out for her to walk into, "Yeah," he said gently, "right here." He continued, showing her the piece. She say down on his lap, making grabby hands at the cake. Pony smiled gently, giving her the slice.

---

Once they were done eating their slice of cake, Pony put the containers in his bag. He didn't shift Emi off his lap, instead, he pulled Johnny to his lap too, "Are you guys okay?" He asked them gently.

They both looked at each other. They felt better, but they still feel that slight heaviness in their heart, "We're okay." Emi started, "It hurts being without them." Johnny continued. Pony's eyes softened at his friends' siblings, basically, his too. "We're just... scared." Emi concluded.

Pony didn't know if he wanted the answer to his question... yet he still asked, "Scared of what?" His eyes softened more, and he felt some tears in his eyes with that they both told him.