~Part 14~

It was the night of Emma's art show. Jack and Rapunzel were both sat at a rounded table waiting for Jack father to arrive. There were both dressed up in fancy clothes. Jack was wearing a suit and Rapunzel was wearing a bleach dress with red roses on it, her hair was slightly curled and she allowed it to flow down her back. Both of them had a drink with them. Rapunzel took a sip of her wine. She was trying to think of something that could break the awkward silence between her and Jack.

"He can stand me up but he can't stand you up." Jack said and paused. "Or my sister." Jack then took a swig of his whiskey, finishing it. He raises his hand to attract the waiters attention. The waiter came over. He was dressed in a smart uniform and held his head up high. "Another whiskey please." Jack said.

"Same for me. On the rocks." A voice said as he approached the couple. Charles sat down. And looked at both of them. Fashionably late. As usual.

"And for the lady?" The waiter asked.

"Oh, I'm still good. Thank you." She said referring to her almost full glass of wine. The waiter left to get the drinks for them. The three sat there in silence. Charles looked at Jack and so did Rapunzel. Expecting him to introduce one another. Jack finally understood what the two of them were trying to say to him and began to speak.

"Oh. Dad this is Rapunzel Corona, my girlfriend. Rapunzel this is my father, Charles Frost." He introduced. He practically spat his fathers name out. Charles and Rapunzel shook hands.

"Pleasure." Charles said. Rapunzel repeated the same after. Her father had always told her to be respectful and have polite manners towards other no matter what she thought of them.

Charles smiled at her. He was going to like this girl.

*~*~*~*~*

The three were onto their main course and Jack and his father were getting along well. They hadn't fought with each other and they were all laughing with each other.

"So you want to be a social worker?" Charles asked Rapunzel.

"Yes, in the criminal justice area." Rapunzel answered. Images of that fateful day quickly flashed through Rapunzel's mind. After that day Rapunzel had her heart set on helping victims from crimes. She didn't want anyone to feel the way she did, and as long as she could help some people she was satisfied.

"That's a tough area." Charles said and continued to eat his main. Rapunzel gave out a small breath. She knew it was going to be difficult but she had confidence in herself that she could do it. She just had to work hard and put the effort in.

*~*~*~*~*

Desert had finally come and the three were each enjoying a posh desert whilst having a simple conversation. Jack looked up at Rapunzel and chuckled. "Desert now?" He asked her jokingly.

Rapunzel put her hand to her mouth to stop her laughing out loud with food in her mouth. "A person can change." she giggled.

"So how long has your father been a cop?" Charles asked Rapunzel. He thought that she was a very interesting girl and wanted to know more about her and her family.

Rapunzel took a moment to think about it. She started calculating the years in her head. "22 years." Suddenly a phone went off on the table. Jack looked up to see his fathers mobile phone light up. The small smile on his face faded as he saw his father pick up the phone.

Charles gently put up his hand "Would you excuse me... I'm so sorry." He said before standing up to take his call away from the table. Rapunzel looked over at Jack to see his face with an angry expression. She carefully put her hand on his and caressed it with her thumb.

"It's just a phone call..." She tried. "At least he held out till desert." Jacks eyes wondered down to the table and then back up to Rapunzels eyes. Charles then came back to the table and sat down. It was a short phone call which was surprising for Jack.

"I'm so sorry." Charles said again. The three of them then went back to finishing their desert. "And your mother?" Charles asks, trying to start a conversation again.

Rapunzel pauses and so does Jack. He knows about her mother and feels bad for her that she would have to talk about it again. "She passed away when I was 11." Rapunzel said. Charles stopped and regretted asking that and bringing up such a personal subject for Rapunzel to talk about.

"I'm sorry." Charles apologized again.

"She was murdered and I was there." Rapunzel said out of the blue. Both Jack and Charles stopped and starred at her in shock. Rapunzel looked over to Jack and saw his expression. "I never told you that part." She said, as if she never realized that she didn't tell him.

Jack leaned closer to her and said quietly "Why are you saying this now?" He asked gently.

"I don't know." She said and looked at Jack. She looked at him as if she herself was searching for answers only she knew.

"And here you are." Charles said.

"Here I am." She finished.

*~*~*~*~*

Rapunzel and Jack stood outside of the restaurant waiting for Charles so they could set off to Emmas art show. Just as they had finished their meal Charles' phone went off and her once again excused himself whilst they both exited the restaurant. "Well that went well." Rapunzel said making Jack chuckle, when Charles came out. He had a look of regret on his face and Jack immediately knew what he was going to say.

"Do say it." Jack said looking directly into his fathers eyes.

"I've got to go to the office." He said quickly. Jack sighed and started shaking his head and mumbled 'no' to himself over and over again. "The show runs till 9. You guys take the car and I'll meet you there." Charles said, trying to reason with his angered son.

"I can't believe you!" Jack said raising his voice at his father, whilst he stood there.

Charles held his arms out and continued to reason with him "That's all there is Jack."

"That's all there is?!" Jack questioned. "It's not good enough." He said as he grabbed Rapunzel hand and dragged her with him to the car. "It's not good enough!" He shouted back to Charles, leaving him there alone.

*~*~*~*~*

All of Emmas family stood around her paintings and drawing. Emma however was sat on a chair looking sown at the floor. She couldn't believe that her father didn't come. Well she could believe it but for some reason it hurt her more then ever before. Emmas mother came over with a plate full of cakes. "I got you every flavor." She said trying to cheer her beloved daughter up.

"I'm not hungry." She said as she stood up and speed walked towards the exit. Her mother and Jacob following behind. Her mother was trying her hardest not to cry in front of everyone but silent tears were falling from her eyes and down her cheeks. Jack, who had witnessed the whole scene with Rapunzel, turned and ripped and drawing off of the wall that Emma had drawn. He grabbed Rapunzels hand and followed his sister. With the drawing she had done.

The one of her father.

A/N

My God I am terrible! I am so so sorry for not updating in ages! I have only just broken up for the summer holidays at school and I have gotten myself a job for the summer so I am still super busy! I will try and update as often as I can and hopefully I will get to update a bit more.

Vote, Comment, Spread the word! 💜

Thank you all so much for sticking around and for all of the lovely comments you have left me xx 💙

Always_Dreaming_xoxo 😊❤️