Chapter 14

"I was hoping we were going to get around to that tonight," he murmurs. I respond by kissing him again, hard, but we don't last as long this time.

"I'm a little..." Kieran breathes when we part.

"Lightheaded?" I wheeze, because I'm definitely dizzy right now.

He runs an index finger along my lower lip. "Yeah, and kind of sleepy. Sorry."

"No...it's okay," I tell him, caressing his cheek. He leans back against the wall, and I willingly follow, leaning in to rest my head on his chest as he gathers me in his arms.

"I've never kissed anyone before," he admits before brushing his lips across my forehead as if he's trying to make up for his lack of experience. So I chime in with "Me, neither. Not successfully, I mean."

"Successfully?"

I think back to poor, stupid Billy McCaffery collapsing in pain in Cassie's basement almost four years ago. "Let's just say I got ambushed once," I explain. "I ended up kneeing the guy in the junk."

Kieran flinches, which brings the bonus of him holding me tighter. "Remind me never to surprise you with a kiss."

"You can surprise me any time you want." I snuggle into him, a question burning a hole in me. "Hey, Kieran?"

"Mmmm?"

"Did you...did you dream this?"

"Kissing you?"

"Yeah."

"You mean before or after we met?"

I smile. "Both."

"Well, after we met, I dreamed about kissing you all the time. Like, daily, pretty much."

"And before?" I ask.

"Okay-you're going to laugh," he says. "I did kind of get this flash of us here, although no kissing. Guess what I did dream about, though?" He pauses for a beat before answering his own question. "That stupid bear. Not even kidding."

Of course, I start giggling as soon as he mentions the bear. He starts laughing, too, but not for long, as his head grows heavy on mine, but not so much that I'm uncomfortable. To make sure I don't fall asleep as well and we don't end up out here all night, I keep myself awake by listening to his heartbeat before shaking him back to me after a few minutes.

"What? Okay-I'm up," he says, lowering his head and lifting my chin to kiss me.

"You know," I begin when his lips leave mine, "As much as I'd like to stay out here with you forever, I don't think it's an option."

"Which totally sucks."

"Yeah, but if my grandparents find us, I'm not sure you'll want to explain what you've been doing out here alone with their granddaughter."

"Good point," he says. "Anyway, it's still our birthday. We've got a few hours left in the day nobody's managed to ruin for us yet, so we should probably get on that."

"True."

"And while the idea of going to my house doesn't exactly thrill me right now, your birthday present's there. I'd kind of like to give it to you while it's still officially our birthday."

"I left your present at your house, too. So if you want the Range Rover I parked in the driveway with a big red bow, we'll need to go back to your house in this lifetime."

He snorts at my mention of buying him a Range Rover and says "I guess you also bought me a driver to go along with the Range Rover?"

"You already have a driver," I point out, squirming in his arms so I can sit up. "Kayla."