Chapter 36

The trees grew thickly on either side, and it seemed as though they were reaching toward Jacob. He looked at them, but could see no movement. The thick, greenish air, the trees, the eerie quiet—it made him feel like he was close to suffocating.

After a few turns in the trail, buildings came into view, and Jacob kept his eyes on them as the group continued. With the light of the sun barely visible, the city felt dark and ominous. Most of the buildings were boarded up, but had muted light coming from inside. It wasn't natural light, but a sickly mustard-green color. The feeling that came from the city wasn't welcoming, and the air was now so heavy, Jacob felt a constant need to clear his throat.

As they passed the first house, Jacob saw a face press up against one of the windows. It disappeared, but then came back, accompanied by another. A moment later, the door opened a crack, and an old, withered hand appeared, reaching toward Jacob and his friends.

He almost stopped walking when he saw a tired-looking woman kneeling at the door. She had gray hair that was pulled into a loose bun. "Please, please help us," she wheezed, her light-colored eyes begging.

Aloren looked at Jacob, a troubled expression on her face.

"I really don't feel good about this place," Jacob whispered. "I don't think we should go near anyone."

As soon as he'd said this, the woman's expression turned to one of intense hatred. "Yes, that's right, children," she said. "Keep walking away if it makes you feel better. You rats." She slammed the door shut.

The group continued down the center of the winding road. Jacob did his best to ignore the disfigured faces that watched them from almost every window.

A few moments later, the road opened into a large area with a building in the middle. Jacob paused to scrutinize it. The windows weren't boarded up, and the light that came from inside was warm and welcoming. It was more likely to be a town hall than any of the other buildings. He continued forward.

They were almost to the porch when the front door opened, and a man stepped out carrying a rug. He was large, wearing a white shirt and a blue apron, and had a mustache that covered at least half his face. He shook the rug out, then noticed them and jumped, dropping the rug and putting his hand on his chest.

"Oh, you startled me!" he said, laughing. "Can I help you?"

"You might," Aloren said.

The man gave her a friendly smile, his eyes twinkling. "I might?" He laughed. "Well, let's hear what you have to say, and we'll see if I can."

"I'm looking for my brother."

"And who is your brother?"

"His name is Devlin."

"You believe you might find him in Maivoryl City?" The man stroked one side of his mustache. "Hmmm. You do know that no one has come or gone from this city in many years, right?"

"Yes, I know," Aloren said. "But he hasn't been seen for a very long time, and I've searched everywhere for him—except this city."

"Have you considered that he might be dead?"

Aloren faltered, but then a determined expression came into her eyes. "Yes, I have. But I don't think he is."

The man picked up the rug. "How can you be sure?"

"I can't explain it. I just know. I want to search the city, but I'm not sure where to start, or how."

A young woman came to the door and stood behind the man, her arms folded. Putting his arm around her shoulders, he brought her forward. "My name is Eachan," he said. "This is my eldest, Duana."

Duana's features relaxed, and she smiled at Aloren, who returned the smile.

Hope was starting to come into Aloren's eyes. "My name is Aloren, and these are my friends, Jacob and Akeno."

Eachan studied them, a curious expression on his face. He locked eyes with Jacob for a brief moment, and Jacob could sense an under-the-surface emotion, similar to heartache, coming from the man.

"Very pleased to meet you both." Eachan opened the door. "Please come in. We don't get many visitors to the town hall or Maivoryl City."

"Thank you," Aloren said.

He held the door for them. "In fact, you're the first visitors to come in a very long time."

"Can we have a minute alone to talk, please?" Jacob asked, motioning for Aloren and Akeno to come closer.

"Of course." Eachan went into the hall, shutting the door behind him.

Jacob pulled Aloren and Akeno several feet away from the porch. "I don't want to go in there until I know how you feel about this."

Akeno and Aloren looked at each other. Akeno was the first to speak. "I trust him."

"Same with me," Aloren said. "I'm usually an excellent judge of character, and I think he's a good man, doing the best he can with what he has around him."

"I don't trust this city," Jacob said, "or him." He frowned, thinking. "But he might have information on how to look for your brother."

Aloren nodded. "He'd have to know everyone who lives here, even if only by sight. And he'd at least know if there was someone here Devlin's age."

"We could use his help."

"You mean I. I could use his help."

"No, you're not doing it alone. We're coming with you."

"Why? Your business is much more urgent than mine. The lives of your father and sister are on the line, for crying out loud. Not to mention one of the most powerful objects ever created." She put both hands on his shoulders. "Go. Get the key and your family as soon as possible."

Jacob shook his head. "No. I agreed to stay with you until things felt safe."

"I feel comfortable."

"It doesn't matter."

"Are you discrediting how I feel?"

"Aloren, honestly." Jacob scowled. "It's a stupid idea for you to be left alone right now."

She raised an eyebrow. "You do know who you're talking to, right? I've been alone most of my life. Even while my mom was sick, I was alone because she couldn't leave her room. And she was sick almost my entire life. Go, Jacob!"

"After we find Devlin."

"No! Seriously. Think about it. There's a big chance the Lorkon don't know you're here. You have the opportunity to take them by surprise before they do something with the key. For all you know, they were bluffing about that deadline and there's still a chance to save your father."

Jacob looked into her eyes. "Then come with us to find the key, and we can look for Devlin afterward."

"And possibly lose my chance?" She shook her head. "Jacob, this is as far as I've ever gone. If things fall apart with the Lorkon, there's no way I'll be able to come back. If I don't take this opportunity right now, it'll never come again."

Jacob closed his eyes. "I can't leave you, Aloren."

"Her points are valid," Akeno said. "We're wasting time arguing."

Aloren put her hand on Jacob's arm. "And you can't make my decisions for me. I trust Eachan and his daughter. I'll be fine here."

As much as he hated to admit it, Jacob felt Aloren was right—they wouldn't stop by the city on their way back.

"Are you sure about this?" he said. "One hundred percent positive this is what you really want to do?"

Aloren nodded. "Yes, I am. Besides, it'll only take a couple of hours to search the city. I'll have Eachan and Duana's help, so that should be enough. We can meet near the tunnel, and you can lead me back to the other side."

"All right. Let's make it two and a half hours, to be safe."

"Okay. Thank you, Jacob."

Jacob gave her shoulder a light squeeze and started toward the town hall.