She's Dating The Gangster Movie Review

by misssmilesandtears

Just got home after watching SDTG's last full show in SM * with my cousins. Tbh, I really am a big fan of the story, ever since it was published on Wattpad, I even bought the two versions of the book! (Hi, BnF's!). And when news came out that it would be filmed and it would be made under Star Cinema, I've already expected that it would be a blast! It would be way, way better than...*tooot*. But after the release of the cast? It became a bit disappointing. I was like...well, how others would say too, "Ano ba yan, KathNiel na naman? Wala na bang iba?". So, yeah. I'm not a big fan of KathNiel, but I AM NOT AGAINST THEM. They're fine, great, but maybe for me they have already been given a lot of exposure! Movies, dramas, and such...Kumbaga sa Tagalog, "nakakaumay na". I knew I can't do anything about it. The majority wants them. They're the ones that could make a lot of money! So  I've accepted that fact, and more to the point, "STAR CINEMA yun! Cathy Garcia Molina, dude!".

News making SDTG a movie, cast release, then here goes the teaser photos. And I was like "Ano yan? Grabe! Binaboy." (You can hate me for saying this.). Like what I'm saying before, I AM EXPECTING A LOT. There goes Kenji's hair, the characters' way of dressing up, everything! "Is it still the story that I've read multiple times before?". Few days after, Ms. Bianca posted something on facebook that gave me a feeling of guilt. Well, yeah. I'm one of those people who made fun of the title changing the word "gangster" into "albularyo" (The hair + clothes + THE BANDANA = Bitch please!). I'm pissed, okay? It might be a bit unreasonable making fun of something someone has worked hard for, but I can't help it. Slowly, I've lost anticipation about watching the movie on the BIG SCREEN.

Not long enough, the trailer came. "Fudge. 'Gangster ang daddy ko!?'?". "What was that!? NAGPAKAMATAY SI KENJI, PANO SYA MAGKAKAKAANAK!?" And another, "Walang love-at-first sight na nangyari sa first meeting nila.". "'tabi' tapos tatawagin nang 'gangster'? Agad-agad?". And please! The Korean feelz!(Though I understand why. They're making a Filipino film, why expect the Korean feelz?) To make the long story short, I HATED IT. So, I've decided not to watch it.

There, hate-accept-hate. Just like that. I've made up my mind and thought that it would just be a waste of money watching it on the big screen hating how the story would go. I'll just wait for Cinema One to show it. Hehe. But then, a week before "#SevenOneSixOneFour", my cousin asked who among us wants to watch SDTG. More like he's saying that we should watch it. "Sige na. Bonding na rin.". We all agreed. Yey! We're gonna watch it on Saturday after my another cousin's class! Exciting! BUT NOT AFTER THE HATING. Haha. They also hated how the plot was changed.

Here comes the Saturday. We already bought our tickets and got ourselves comfortable seats. Woot! Woot! I know I hated the movie even before it was out on cinemas, BUT! Moments before the movie started, I thought that it would be best if, even for that one hour and forty-five minutes, I would just forget about the original story. That's what I did. And guess what! I LIKED IT!

How? SIMPLE! I studied it. The plot isn't totally changed. The scenes that we've read might not have been included in the film, but the story's still the same. Kenji beeped the wrong number which turned out to be Athena Dizon's, not Tizon's, they pretended to be in a relationship to make the other Athena jealous for the same reason from the book, eventually, the 'pretend' relationship became true and they ended up together, Athena had to sacrifice her love for Kenji for the other Athena to live ("Wishing for an US  means wishing for Athena dead." Dunno if they were the exact words. Same thought anyway. ), and Kenji and Athena Abigail might have ended up married and Athena Dizon living more years than expected, STILL, our LOVE BABE died beside our dearest SEXY LOVE.

- - -

love is happiness...

love is smiling when you hear that person's voice...

love is the butterflies in your tummy no matter how many times you see that person...

love is when you look at them and smile for no reason...

love is seeing an imperfect person perfectly...

love is painful..

love is hard...

love is sacrifice..

love is sadness..

-(A part of the prologue from the wattpad version)-

- - -

Several scenes may have been changed, but it is still the SHE'S DATING THE GANGSTER that we once loved. Hands down to the ones who made the movie possible. :)

 *Sorry for hating. Congratulations for a job well done! :)

-

-

-credits to @imelaineojera (doodleworld.tumblr.com) the poster is hers. :)