chapter 2 -Living life, king size.

The root of envy is actually ignorance. Ignorance of this truth: all blessings come in pairs; with every blessing is a test. You envy someone for their blessing because you don't see their test.

Shiraz's POV

"Wake up! Wake up grumpy head!" A loud voice shakes me.
" If you don't then nothings gonna stop me from riding your new car to school today."

It was the annoying voice of Masarrath, my sister.And her threat was enough to get me out of my bed.

"Don't you dare!" I warned her but Masarrath grabbed my keys and ran towards the living room. I caught her wrist and started tickling her. She raised her hands indicating surrender.

"Stop it Shiraz, fine you won!"Masarrath cried trying to steady herself.

Masarrath was younger to me and went to high school. She loved playing around with her elder brother.

"Thank GOD!" I muttered under my breath.Few moments delay and my baby Mercedes would have been in the clutches of my little sister! She was pretty stubborn.And when she liked something she never gives up until it's all hers. My black beauty is actually a gift from dad for starting a new phase of life....university. I was quite possessive about my cars.Though we had a couple of them already,Mercedes was my latest addition.

Life's always been BEAUTIFUL for me. People say I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Not literally of course but I have everything I have ever asked for. My parents have given me all the luxuries in life.Yet I do feel something is lacking in my life.Despite all the freedom I do feel that I have been deprived of love and time from them.Its like I live in a fake world where everything seems so perfect but it actually aint.True love always seemed like a foreign feeling to my heart.It was only synonymous with expensive gifts and exotic holidays.The actual feeling still seemed foreign.

Quote from the Holy Qur'an: An-Nahl (16:71)

وَاللَّهُ فَضَّلَ بَعْضَكُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ فِي الرِّزْقِ ۚ فَمَا الَّذِينَ فُضِّلُوا بِرَادِّي رِزْقِهِمْ عَلَىٰ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ فَهُمْ فِيهِ سَوَاءٌ ۚ أَفَبِنِعْمَةِ اللَّهِ يَجْحَدُونَ

WaAllahu faddala baAAdakum AAala baAAdin fee alrrizqi fama allatheena fuddiloo biraddee rizqihim AAala ma malakat aymanuhum fahum feehi sawaon afabiniAAmati Allahi yajhadoona

Allah has bestowed His gifts of sustenance more freely on some of you than on others: those more favoured are not going to throw back their gifts to those whom their right hands possess, so as to be equal in that respect. Will they then deny the favours of Allah?

In my zoning out on life I forgot to check on time.My mind cursed myself for lazy winter mornings.There was always a possiblity of me being late to school.But when the awesome feeling of the first day in uni crept into my heart I ran towards my room balancing my feet on the skate board.

I took a quick shower, humming whatever tunes that came to mind. I wasn't a typical bathroom singer, I actually loved singing.Never took any sort of training though I was blessed with an amazing voice. I did learn how to play guitar and piano when I was in high school but granny would never let me perform saying that music is haraam and prohibited in Islam.

Many of my friends suggested that I make a career out of it.But dad wanted me to join his family business after getting a degree and become a decent guy.High expectations left me confused about my future. I was always of the opinion that in between goals is a thing called LIFE which has to be lived and enjoyed!

I didn't know when and how but I suddenly wanted to become a doctor.Realizing my ambition on right time,I studied hard for the entrance test and applied to a good medical school.And I got accepted.Dad was shocked to learn that I rejected his advice of carrying forward his business and ventured into something which was unheard of in my near family. It was one of the best medical schools in town and the fee was also quite decent.

I entered my walk in closet and chose a black button down shirt with blue jeans.And to complement them, I picked out a pair of brown converse. I am very choosy when it comes to shoes.After the warm shower I sprayed a lot of cologne since I was kinda obsessed with good smells. Minutes later, I grabbed my car keys and my aviators.Even without efforts,girls were always drooling over me. I never dressed to impress them.

Whistling my way down the staircase,I headed towards the dining room.The aroma of fresh pancakes and hot chocolate greated me.Mom and dad were having breakfast on the vast spread dining table.Masarrath's chair was unoccupied which implied she left for school already.

"Assalamualaikum,mom dad!" I greeted my parents who were busy gulping their morning coffee.

"Walaikumsalam,Shiraz! You are late as usual," replied dad.

I stuffed a piece of pancake in my mouth and held onto my backpack, swiftly making my way towards the door.

"Shiraz Haroon, when are you gonna get up on time and have a proper breakfast?"

"Next time dad!" I replied mumbling a quick apology.

Within minutes I made a mad rush towards my garage. My new car, my first love was waiting for me. I inserted my key to start the engine, put on the driving mode and pressed the accelerator. The next moment I was playfully speed-rocketing down the town with some hardcore music. I could never drive silently because I loved to feel my pounding heart beat to the rhythm of my favourite songs.

Had it not been for the shortest route and skipping few signals I would have been late.Nevertheless I reached few moments before the actual class started.

"Wow!" Escaped my lips as I gazed at the concrete structure standing wide.My medical school looked quite extravagant.No doubt why it was the best in the nation.

I could easily park my car as the parking lot was huge. Trudging further into the campus I scanned the crowd and made a quick search for my childhood friends - Shehriyaar and Yumna.We have been together ever since we were kids.

From the corner of my eyes I could see Shehriyaar standing near the fountain talking with a bunch of seniors. He had told me earlier that he got some relative in the seniors. One of the perks of knowing someone in your seniors was you could possibly escape bullying and ragging. When he noticed me waiting for him he came to me and we both did our man hug thing.

"How was your vacation dude? I was seriously bored sitting at home throughout our holidays", whined Shehriyaar. I laughed at his misery. Poor guy couldn't go cause he was babysitting his little bro while his parents were out on some business trip.His parents don't trust nannies or housekeepers for some unknown reason.

"Where's Yumna?" We both asked in unison. I shrugged my shoulders indicating that I had no idea about it. "Look there!" Shehriyaar said pointing towards someone.

Among the crowd spotted easily was a girl dressed in a sleeveless white crop top with skinny jeans and boots.Her aroma turning heads everywhere. She was bold and beautiful and always 'dressed to impress'. I never understood why she enjoyed her elegance being observed.

"Hi,Shiraz!How was your vacation,dude?Oh God! I missed you guys so much!" She revealed.And next few minutes she went bragging about her trip to Mauritius.

I got bored hearing about her shopping spree and started searching for some fresh faces to make new friends.I was not much of a flirt but my friends thought so always.I was just a little more friendly with everyone especially cute girls.

Hustling past new students,we made our way to the class after our brief catching up session. We walked past big hallways towards the anatomy class . I had a gut feeling that my first day would prove to be awesome as wherever I walked people were introducing themselves trying to befriend me.I was the star attraction everywhere.

***********

A / N

Hello readers!
I hope you guys got a rough idea about the characters.

If you like the chapter do vote and comment!

_________________________________________________________________