Love in the Darkness

Meridiah loves her life as a fairy—until she meets Morgean and discovers she could have so much more

Romantic Fantasy

Meridiah flew from flower to flower, collecting their precious nectar. It was sticky and sweet and there was so much of it. Lulitha was right; it was going to be a bountiful spring this year. She squinted up at the mountain. Its tallest peak glinted icily in the sun. There, winter never ended. Elsewhere, it was beautiful: bees hummed; baby animals frolicked; fields of waving flowers fluttered in the light breeze; and though the air was still crisp, winter having only just passed, the sun was full and bright. The day was hers for the taking.

She mashed some nectar in her mouth, smacked her lips, then buzzed to the next flower, her translucent, azure wings carving through the air. She was fluttering around the flower's tall stamen, the nectar glistening wetly in the sunlight, when she looked up at the sound of her name.

'Meridiah!'

Dark against the bright sun, Davensong came flying down. He landed lightly on a petal, his silver hair shining, silver wings glittering. He held out his hand.

She looked over at another voice. 'Meridiah!'

Then another. 'Meridiah!' And another. 'Meridiah!' 'Meridiah!'

Quickly, she was surrounded. The flower swayed and tilted beneath so much weight. They were all looking at her hungrily, holding out their hands: silver, red, yellow, gold, green, a rainbow of colourful hair and wings, each male fairy as beautiful as the next. It was spring after all—mating season, where all the males sowed their seed wherever and in whomever they could. Meridiah grinned. It was her third year since she had first bled, and after three babies she still couldn't get enough of it. The thought of it made her heat up, made her heart swell with excitement. Their eyes raked over her, lingering over her breasts, over her blue thatch, over the way her long blue hair curled around her hips. 

'Catch me if you can!' she cried, shooting up into the sky.

She glanced over her shoulder. They all flew up as one, leaving a flurry of pollen and petals in their wake. The poor flower's stem snapped against the force of their thrust. She turned back ahead, eyes narrowed against the light, head hard between her rigid arms, as she shot into the sky. They weren't going to catch her so easily. She would be with child by the end of spring and that meant two months of a swollen belly, sickness and boredom. At her heaviest, she wouldn't be able to fly for two weeks. Two weeks!

She heard the buzzing of wings all around her. Silver, gold, red and green glinted in the corners of her eyes. They were gaining on her. Yellow wings fluttered ahead—Tristant. She dodged, ducked and escaped his grasp, laughing as his long fingers brushed over her. She arced, then darted towards the ground. Her skin froze and pimpled against the cold air. She skimmed the blades of grass, weaved between flowers and bushes, the males chasing her in a trail.

There was screaming and laughter somewhere up ahead, a flash of purple.

'Lulitha!' Meridiah called.

'Meridiah!' Lulitha called laughingly back.

Another female, Lulitha had her own trail of males to contend with. The two females flew towards each other, both skilled at the game, azure and lilac blending together as they hooked arms and swung each other around before suddenly letting go, using each other's momentum to shoot away at high speed in opposite directions.

There were several thuds, shouting and cries of frustration as the two groups of males crashed into one another.

Meridiah sniggered then squealed with laughter as she shot into the air again. The fairy's life was great: sex, freedom, light and laughter. There was nothing better.