Chapter 1: Unlike the Usual

Kallen leaned against the alleyway wall, a cigarette hanging limply off the corner of his mouth. He pulled it out of his mouth and exhaled a small cloud of smoke. He breathed a sigh and stared up at the night sky adorned with many sparkling stars. Kallen wore a deep black trenchcoat that reached his ankles, with what looked like white fur as round the collar. Hidden behind the coat on either side of his waist were twin pistols in their holsters. The holsters were hanging from two lopsided belts that crossed each other like an X over his waist. He had jet black hair and shocking blue eyes, his eyebrows narrowed into an arch. He inhaled and exhaled another small cloud of smoke. Just then a ringtone rang. Kallen pulled a cellphone out  and began speaking into it.

"You've contacted Kallen. What do you want?"  he said.

"M'boy..." came a raspy old voice. " I need a certain... Mr.Takagawa... eliminated."

" Takagawa? The CEO of Takagawa Co.?"

"Yes. Can you handle it?"

Kallen began walking deeper into the alleyway. "If you're calling me, then you should know that I can. Where can I find him?"

"He should be leaving the office building at this time."

"Got it. How much are we talking here?" questioned Kallen as a grin spread across his face. He arrived at the end of the alleyway, where a garage door lay. Kallen exhaled another cloud of smoke.

"20,000... in cash."

".....You must really want him dead. Well, you've come to the right Merc."

"After you've finished him, grab his ID and bring it to that same alleyway as proof."

"....Right." Kallen unlocked the garage door and opened it to reveal a sleek black motorcycle, the light glinting off it as he lifted the door open.

"Hello, Sleipnir." he muttered.

____________________________________________________________________________

Kallen raced down the city street, the roaring of his cycle, Sleipnir, in his ears. He was headed for the parking lot close to the Takagawa Co. office building. Kallen's head was covered by a sleek black helmet that matched his Sleipnir. From behind him, Kallen heard a gunshot and immediately swerved to the right, taking a detour down another road. He looked in his rearview mirrors and saw another motorcycle with a sidecar, both of which were occupied. The man driving was concentrated on following Kallen while the passenger wielded a rifle, taking aim at Kallen. Kallen quickly did a U-Turn and as he passed the two on his way back, landed a kick to the driver's head, causing him to crash.

" What the hell...?" muttered Kallen under his helmet. "Did that Takagawa guy know I was coming? Did that client set me up!? The nerve of that bastard... Well, that guy won't be following me for some time."

Kallen then heard the roar of several other motorcycles and realized that it really had to be a setup. How could it not? Kallen counted them.

"One... Three... Six, damn, there's seven of them!"

Kallen pulled one of his pistols out of his coat and took aim as he skidded around the corner. He fired off several shots. two hit some tires, causing their owners to crash. Kallen let a grin momentarily cross his face, until the others fired back, most missed but one found it's way towards Kallen's face. Luckily it missed, but it grazed the side of his helmet.

"Damn..." gasped Kallen. "That was too close..."

Kallen sped up, and suddenly turned a corner. He stopped suddenly, pressing on the brakes, and pulled his other pistol out. Then, as each of the others came into view, Kallen let loose a rain of bullets, each one finding their mark. Kallen quickly got back on Sleipnir as he left the bloody mess.

____________________________________________________________________________

Kallen screeched to a halt as he arrived back at the alleyway. He held one pistol, the other in it's holster. He made his way down the alleyway.

"Show yourself!" he shouted. "I know you set me up!"

"You were supposed to die back there, m,boy!" came a voice. Kallen turned his head and came face to face to the barrel of pistol. The man holding it was short and pudgy, he held a cane in his left hand, the pistol in the other. "Now drop your weapon."

Kallen reluctantly dropped the pistol in his hands. Then he began to reach for the other...

"I wouldn't do that if I were you m'boy." he said coldly. "Drop the other one too..."

Reluctantly, Kallen dropped the other.

"Good job, m,boy! Now do me a favor and... DIE!!!"

The sound of a gunshot echoed as the bullet passed through his head, his blood painting the alleyway walls. He had only one regret.

That he couldn't avenge his family...