Chapter Three- Waking Up

Chapter Three:

Weeks went by, or what I could only assume was weeks. I still had no concept of the real world. I only caught glimpses of what was going on around me before my eyes took over and closed up again. It was strange. I felt a strong pull to close my eyes every time they opened. My body, although not painful, felt heavy and unmovable. I never had enough time to figure out what was going on before I was pulled back under. I was useless in every sense. One day though, I forced myself to stay awake long enough to look around.

Some of the first things I noticed were the patchwork quilts stacked on top of me. They were starting to feel almost suffocating with the multiple layers of bright reds, yellows, and other bright colors all covering my body. So that's why I felt like I was trapped. I had never been so tucked in and warm before that this felt almost like I was buried alive. How did people sleep like this?

 The bed I was laying on was small but large enough to spread out in and was made of dark wood with intricate patterns swirled in the footboard. Around me were four walls made to look like logs out of a cabin. I thought to myself,

"Where in the world am I?"

A loud noise got me out of my thoughts and I looked around to see what it was. There across the room from me was a crackling fire burning radiantly. So someone must be here with me if there's a fire going. I am not alone. I did not know if that fact was comforting or terrifying. As far as I could tell, I had not been injured and seemed to be safe. After all, if someone was keeping my hostage, I did not think that they would give me such comfortable amenities.

 To support my conclusion, I looked to the right of me and saw an oak bedside table filled with medication and a glass of perspiring water. So somehow had been here recently.

 I thirstily gulped the water down without a thought to how it got there or who had just been close enough to me that they could do whatever they wanted without my knowledge. I had begun to feel more refreshed and more awake so I wanted to sit up and figure out more of my surroundings. Who knows how long I had been lying down, probably longer than I had in my entire life.  There was a noticeable sting in my leg when I moved it. I peeled back the stacks of blankets and looked down at where I remembered I had been shot. What I saw was not my handiwork. The careful bandage wrapped tightly around my wound looked professional and there was no more blood seeping out.

The memories of what happened came flooding back in a rush and made me start to panic. Questions started berating my head. Were my siblings safe? How much time had gone by? Did my mother follow me here and is waiting for me to come out so she can finish what she started?

I started unburying myself from the blankets once more when the door opened a crack and a tiny pair of eyes peeked in. Before I had a chance to say anything it slammed shut with a loud "thud." 

A couple of seconds later the door fully opened and a big burly man stepped through the threshold. He was wearing a plaid colored shirt, black suspenders and dark denim jeans. How cliche. I was in a log cabin, in the woods, with a lumberjack. 

 I looked up at his face that was full of little wrinkles that held secrets of wisdom beyond my years. His beard was turning gray in spots and looked very prickly. He began to speak before I could even think of what to say.

"You're up. How are you feeling?" he asked me.

My voice came out small and timid, " I'm fine...thanks."

"I bet you're wondering what you're doing here, aren't ya?" he questioned. I nodded my head in a slow yes motion.

"Well, to begin with, my name is William Light and I live here with my wife Sarah."

 "Last month my dog, Charlie, and I were going on our yearly deer huntin' trip when he took off in the other direction, I followed after him but stopped when I saw you tumblin' to the ground," said William.

"Did you find your dog, Mr. Light?" I asked.

"No, but I think in a way, that he was meant to lead me to you, to help you, and anyways, I know he'll come back real soon," reassured William. 

I nodded my head again, not knowing what to say to that remark.

"So now that you've got my story, I think it's about time we heard yours," he suggested.

I hesitated for a moment but figured that since he was so willing to open up to me that I could at least tell the man who saved me what I was doing out in the woods alone.

"I'm going--" I started.

A stout woman entered the room and interrupted what I was saying.

"Well I'll be," said the woman.

 "She's awake!"

 "I bet you're starving," she continued on.

 "Oh dear me, I must sound like a crazy person ramblin' on and such." 

"Let me introduce myself, my name is Sarah Light, but I'm sure Will over here already told ya that didn't he?"

"Sarah, would you mind makin' this child some food, while I finish up talkin' to her?" asked William in his deep voice.

"Of course, of course!"

 "Honey, do you like pancakes... oh silly me of course you do." she rambled on. Then she gave me a warm smile and turned to walk out.

"Thank you!" I called out meekly to her, but the door was already closed again. I turned back to William but he seemed to have forgotten about our conversation from earlier because he started off on a new topic.

"Child, I don't even know your name yet." he chuckled.

"My name is Aubree," I told him.

"Well Aubree, I don't know where you've come from, or why but I'd like you to heal up before you go back home." "We can always call your folks up and tell them whats happened if you're worried about that."

"I.. I don't have any parents" my voice wavered.

I could not tell William that I had a mother who had tried to kill me so instead I made up a lie. A lie I hoped would not be found out.

"Well you gotta have some sort of family we can call to come

"Don't worry about that, keeping Sarah company would be more than enough payment , she gets so lonely while I'm away at work." commented William.

My eyes were beginning to feel heavy and I was more than willing to fall back asleep, I cleared my throat.

"Umm, William, do you think I could rest my eyes for a few minutes?" "I just feel so exhausted." I yawned.

"Don't see why not, it's probably those pain medications we got you on that's making you drowsy." he stated. William then got up and left. I laid back down and was happily drifting off into sleep when what seemed like five minutes later I'm awakened with the most amazing smelling food I'd even dreamed about, instantly my mouth started watering. Sarah came in with a tray balanced on her hand like a waitress. The tray was stacked to the point where the plates were all wobbling while she walked but she never even dropped one. She set it down in front of me and I see all the delicious smelling things shes made; from eggs to bacon, and even some things I'd never even seen before. Sarah watched patiently while I gorged myself with the best meal I'd ever had. After a couple of minutes she told me to slow down or I would get a stomach ache. I realized how rude I was being and ate like a human being instead of an animal who had never eaten in there life, which, was actually part true.

Once I felt like my stomach had reached it's limits I thanked her and told her that she was the best cook ever. My comment made her smile widely, she then got up, collected all the uneaten food and left for the second time that day.

Even though I probably could've slept the whole day I decided to get up and do my best and help out a little bit. It was the least I could do after everything they had done for me.