Her Broken Heart

"SHE'S WHAT?!?"

So... big mistake telling Flame King about your recent encounters, Flambo decided. Like, the biggest mistake. He didn't tell him immediately after he came back, wanting to wait until a more appropriate time to give him the information but that was an even bigger mistake. Guards, maids, servants, butlers, members of the gentry, royal assistants, and anyone those people could find were all gathered to try and calm their king down. The air was heavy and tense, the people shaken and worried, and the king furious and vengeful.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE'S HANGING OUT WITH WESLEY THAT SLIMY LITTLE WRIGGLING WEASEL?"

"Sir, I think what he's saying is just what it means-"

"OF COURSE WHAT HE'S SAYING IS TRUE, YOU IDIOT! WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY?!?"

"Y-y-your M-majesty, she m-may just l-l-li-"

"SHE MAY JUST WHAT? LIKE HIM? LOVE HIM? WELL, I'LL TELL YOU ONE THING, SHE'S DEFINITELY GOING TO LOSE HIM IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE I CAN GUARANTEE THAT!"

"Remember what your mother told the kingdom? Don't interfere with the terms of the beings of water. If would be a grave mistake if you broke the sacred rule she gave us. The rule that's been keeping us alive and on at least some solid terms with the Water Kingdom-"

"THOSE TERMS ARE NOW BROKEN! HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING, HE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS TO ME, AND HE WON'T STOP UNTIL SHE'S HIS!"

"How much could he possibly know? It's not like he's-"

"IT'S NOT LIKE HE'S A SNEAKY LITTLE BASTARD WHO'S ONLY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO RUIN MY LIFE AND RUIN MY EXISTENCE! NOOO, OF COURSE IT ISN'T!"

The bickering back and forth wasn't doing any good. It only made the people's efforts fruitless and it only made the king angrier, and the more angry he got then the more irrational he became too. He was already so unreasonable as it was now, so this method of going back and forth was getting them nowhere. And what better time for a phone call then quarreling on a fragile, bitter subject.

Philip didn't even bother looking at the caller ID and threw the phone at one of the nearest people the court. The royal advisor caught it and fumbled before hitting the answer button and putting it up to his ear. A few of the others around him leaned in close to the conversation and nervously glanced up to their king for permission. He rolled his eyes and let them listen in.

"H-hello?"

"Hey man, it's Marshall," the voice over the phone answered.

"Who is it?" FK questioned him.

"It's Marshall Lee, sire," he said.

"What does he want?"

"I don't know, sire."

"Ask him, you idiot."

"Hello, this is Flame King's royal advisor," he said. "H-he's not in the mood to talk right now, but I can deliver the message for him."

"Is he in the room? Can you put him on speaker phone for me?"

"He wants to put him on speaker phone," he whispered to the king. Philip waved in agreement. The button was clicked in he held the phone out for them to hear. "You're on speaker."

"Phil, if you're listening in that room, Y/N's not okay," he began. Flame King's head whipped up towards the phone and he furrowed his features. "I don't know if you know, but she's been hanging out with Wesley and I don't think she's in good hands. She told me that they were just friends, but you and I both know that he's not as trusting and good as he puts on. After you cut off contact with most of the other princes they were desperate to see who still had contact with you. Don't worry, I didn't tell them anything and I made it painfully clear that they wouldn't get anything out of me, but for Y/N... she wasn't so lucky.

"Fionna told them about your close friendship and Gumball and a few others went over to her house and grilled her to no end. And I mean, they really grilled her. She told them everything because there wasn't much else she could do. I guess word didn't get around to her about your crowning and they told her. They told her what you did, how you shut them and everyone out and she broke down. She told us what happened before you stormed off and how you were so angry about us having the ability of touching fire like you do. To be honest, I would be mad too if someone found out they could rule over my turf. I don't blame you for being so defensive, but maybe you took it a tad too far because now she's... she's... I don't even know.

"She won't stop playing the saddest songs in her house, making the whole place unbearable to stay in. Fionna and Cake haven't left since she lost it, which was a couple of days ago? I have no clue, they only called me two hours ago to ask me if I would call you; I couldn't say no after looking into her depressed eyes. The princes went to go see if they could find Skeleton Prince or Ghost Prince to talk to. I doubt they'll be successful though. If they took their message from you seriously like I did then they shouldn't say a word.

"About the Wesley thing that I was saying earlier, she, uh, she told me a while ago that she met him on the beach. Actually, he found her first. Go figure, since we all know that he doesn't just stumble onto to people at the beach. I won't relay all of what she said only because most of it you won't want to hear, but she did say that he gave her that fish egg oil shit that was supposed to heal the burns and scars caused by elemental fire even though he claimed that nothing could be used to heal elemental burns. I know, I know, that little weasel lied again just to shame your name, but he did manage to give her some and, truth be told, it worked. I don't know what's been going on with her now with him. No one said any real meaningful words since she caved and I'm the only one that knows about her friendship with him. You know too now, I guess."

Philip turned his head now to look back at the ground and mull over all that Marshall Lee said. Your heart was broken, defeated by what he had done to you. You weren't sad over what he had done to your body, you were destroyed over what he had done to your heart. He had left you with no answers, no reassurance, and with a slick, underhanded asshole to pick up the pieces he left behind.

"Philip, you there?"

"I'm here, Marshall," he exhaled.

"So you were listening to everything I said?"

"Every last word," he exhaled softly.

"Good."

"Where is she right now? You said that you were at her house," he said.

"I've been in her room the entire time talking to you, man. She's in the living room with Fionna and Cake. Why?"

"I just wanted to know if she's okay, can you go see if she's okay?"

"I can try, but I think you already know that answer." There was nothing over the line for a while until there came a series of shaky whispers and jumbled, inaudible words. "She's not here."

"What do you mean she's not there? Where did she go?"

"Fionna says she wanted to go down to the beach and walk along the shore," he said. "You know what will happen if he's- that he'll-"

"I know, keep the girls in the house. I'm going down there and I'll talk to her. Let Gumball know and tell him to go to the house, group up together, and then come down and help. From now on, no one's going to be left in the dark."

"Okay, I'll do that," he said. "Be careful, Philip. Wesley won't be happy to see you."

"I know," he began, chuckling sourly, "After all, we're one in the same, really. We're both not so willing to let go."