Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

Harry was in a stone corridor, and once he was completely out of the auditorium fiery torches burst into life along the walls. He put Sarah's wand into his other pocket as he ran, so as not to get it confused with his own. He gripped onto his sword and tried not to think about how much he'd rather have his wand, his wand that could do so much in his hand, unlike the sword which he was fearing could do very little at all. 

His eyes and ears were pricked, but even so he only just heard the person sneaking up on him. Without thinking he spun around, heaving the sword up as he did. The blade sliced into the woman's right arm, Harry felt it hit the bone, causing her to scream and drop the dagger she was holding to the ground. It was Bellatrix, the woman from Dumbledore's pensive. She seized her injury as blood gushed from the wound, covering her dangling arm and both her hands, splashing down her lacy black dress. She gasped and staggered, wide eyes on Harry as she hit the stone wall and steadied herself. "Potter," she growled, eyes narrowing as she shook, adrenalin running through her shock-ridden body.  

She fumbled forward, clumsily grabbing the dagger in her left hand. Harry backed up a few steps, holding his sword out warningly. It was making his arms ache with effort and he hoped she couldn't see how much they were trembling. 

"You're coming with me," spat Bellatrix, her face extraordinarily pale against her dress and mass of curly black hair. 

"Yeah," said Harry, edging backwards again. "I don't think so."  

Bellatrix cackled. "You're only here because he wanted you here!" she shrieked, the torch light dancing manically in her eyes. "How do you think you got through the forest? Where did you think all the ghouls and goblins went, hmm?" 

"I'm here for my sister," said Harry resolutely, ignoring her taunts. He had thought they'd been lucky not to meet anything most unpleasant than the Ungezähmts as they'd traipsed through the woods, but it didn't matter how they got here, only that they had.  

"Little baby Potter," sang Bellatrix, all the colour gone from her lips. She was leaving quite a substantial trail of blood on the floor as she shuffled towards Harry, her left hand gripped shakily around the dagger still. "Quite the little firecracker, put up such a fight." 

"If you've hurt her!" cried Harry, unable to stop himself rising to the bait, but it only made Bellatrix laugh more.  

"He wants you to go to her," she whispered. "He's got her all wrapped up for you, My Lord." Her eyes shone with reverence beneath fluttering eyelids at the mention of Voldemort. "He has such things, such great things planned for you." 

"Oh give it up!" snapped Harry, exhaustion frying his patience for this woman and what was clearly an unhealthy obsession with her master. "I'm not doing anything he says." 

Bellatrix cackled again. "You think you've got a choice?" she screeched. "He has your sister!" 

It was Harry's turn to growl. "Not for long."  

Bellatrix swayed, from blood loss or giddiness Harry really wasn't sure. "You're feistier than I thought you would be, Potter," she rasped. "The way I heard it, you were all soft and squishy, hiding behind mummy's skirts." She eyed up his sword, the metal glinting in the torchlight. "I heard you were good at hiding." 

Harry actually curled his lip in distain at the woman jabbering in front of him. "I've had enough of this," he said. What he wanted to do was take a swing at her, but the blade weighed a ton in his arms and he'd been so clumsy before with he balked at the last second. Instead he took another few steps away, back down the corridor. They had passed several doors already, all of the very much shut, and Harry was starting to panic just how many places Sarah could be. This woman was wasting his time.