Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Uri sat on his bed, utility knife in hand. The small dent made him realize how big his plot was. It would involve him being ready for Carrie-Anne, trying to get her into the plan as well. He would have to erase the fears of being caught.

His father would never notice his own son's disappearance. He was never 'home' anyways.

Carrie-Anne, on the other hand, was a different story. The guards would notice. They would need to leave as soon as the free hour bell rung, so they would have enough time to create proper distance.

Discussions would have to be as private as possible. The Hill wouldn't even be a safe place for conversations about escape.

He clenched the small knife and opened the drawer in which it was safe. As he dropped the knife in, he noticed a small piece of paper. The paper was folded into the shape of an envelope. Kyle Martinez was scrawled on the back, his father's name.

Grabbing the folded paper, he dropped the knife into the deep drawer. He stuffed it into his pocket and walked to the door. He walked outside, forgetting to put his shoes on, and left for the Hill.

************************************************************************************

As the bell rang, Carrie-Anne stood and waiting for the CellMen to unlock her door. As a tall man approached her Cell, she noticed he had no keys. In fact, none of the men letting the other little girls out had keys.

"Carrie-Anne," her mother called her name. She turned her head to her mother. Still no signs of pregnancy, although they both knew the child was there. "Have a nice time."

She knew her mother was trying to distract her from something she shouldn't know, but she didn't say anything.

Carrie-Anne had noticed, out of the corner of her eye, the small jiggling the tall men did with her Cell door. The barred door then slightly opened, allowing her to slip out. She looked at another gIrl being let out. They didn't pay attention to the fact that the doors weren't actually locked.

No one did, besides Carrie-Anne.

************************************************************************************

As he approached the Hill, Uri reached into his pocket, feeling for the piece of paper. As he grasped it, he tore it out of his pocket. It was slightly crumpled, but he carefully unfolded it, making sure it didn't tear.

A beautiful border of golden curls went all around the page. Fancy lettering in cursive was written in a couple of lines. As he laid it out on the grassy space around him, he stared at the words on it.

Birth Certificate

Name: Uri (Kyle) Martinez

Father (biological): Kyle Martinez

A birth certificate? Uri thought about this. If it said his father's name, it must say his mother's, too.

Looking underneath the space for his father's name, he noticed that it did, indeed, have a space for the mother's name, but there was no name in the spot. Just a small dash in it's place.

He heard soft footsteps coming up the Hill. Carrie-Anne's footsteps, he knew. He turned his head to see the top of her golden-brown hair.

She slowed as she saw him. "Uri..." A look of fear shadowed her face.

"Carrie-Anne, I need to talk with you," He told her, patting the ground next to him, signaling for her to sit with him.

She began to shake her head, but realized she had been longing to hear his voice, even if only once. She crunched her toes up, and felt the strands of grass curling in between her toes. She closed her eyes and took a brief deep breath.