Chapter Five

This chapter is dedicated to my annoyingly awesome little brother! Thanks, bubba!

Chapter Five

I gasp and march over to him, turning his body to face mine.  "Jase, what happened?"

"What are you talking about, Ray?" His eyes tear into mine, flashing with something. Warning?

"Dont 'Ray' me! What. Happened. To. Your. Neck?"

Panic spreads across his face, his beautiful face. "It's nothing, just a hunting accident."

Something in the corner of my mind is screaming at me, begging for me to remember. "It looks fresh? When did this happen?" My voice is suspicious, accusing. For once I don't care.

Jason sits down looking troubled. "I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this. Forget it, okay?" I arch my eyebrows at him and he gives in, loudly. "Yesterday! It happend yesterday."

I bite my lip, confused. "You were with me yesterday...after the attack."

"I was with you." I know guilt when I see it, and he looks guilty.

For a girl who's always hungry I'm fed up. "Stop stalling. When?"

He looks down wearily. I hurt him, it hurts me to hurt him. "I'm so sorry, Ray. I don't want you to hate me."

"Jase," I question, quieter this time, and he looks up at me. Pained.

"It's...it's my fault," he whispers. "Your'e shoulder. It's my fault."

I start to argue, protes. He pulls up his hand, stopping me. "Once upon a time," he begins rolling his eyes, all sarcasm. "I was ten, almost eleven, and my dad had just died."

He glances over at me knowing I have questions. "John was a friend of my fathers. He adopted me after the...accident. Well, I thought it was an accident. At first."

Chill bumps travles up my arms and I shiver involuntarily. "What? But why did..."

"There was this lady, a friend of my fathers. He did something that made her angry, I don't know what. She killed him."

"The police...did they catch her? How are you sure she did it." My heart is pounding ata  race speend. Ba dum. Ba dum. Ba dum.

"She told me, and as for the police, it was a mute point. I couldn't have proved anything; let's just say this woman is good at what she does." Jason flashes a grim smile, like there was something he wasn't telling me. "Anyways, I guess offing him wasn't enough revenge, because she came after his son. She came looking for me. Renae, she was a witch."

I can't help it, I laugh out loud. "You've got to be kidding me! A witch? As in eyes of Newt, and all that?"

Jason ignores me, frustrated eyes still avoiding mine. "I didn't believe it at first either. Then she -this sounds so stupid- she cursed me."

He runs his fingers through his hair and I gently place my hand over his. "Jase, there is no such thing as witches or curses. I'm sure you're just tired." That's what I want to believe, it's easier than admitting he's gone mad.

"Yeah, that's what I thought too. Then that night....I...I changed. I became a wolf. Ever since then, every night as soon as it's dark out, I turn into a wolf."

I refuse to talk to him. He sounds so serious, he sounds so crazy.

He continues talking. "I was the one who attacked you, then you cut me. It was an accident, Ray. I didn't know what I was doing. I can't remember anything when I transform, and that's why...why I...."

"Why you what?!" I snap.

"Ray, please forgive me. But that night, seven years ago when I first transformed, I ran into the road. I...I killed your parents."