Chapter 7

The sun wasn't even brushing its light across the horizon when I had made my way downstairs. My mother was drinking from a mug as she stared out through the kitchen window. At the sound of my footsteps she turned to me and regarded my appearance for a moment before she poured me a cup of tea.

"Couldn't sleep?"

"No. You?" I asked her.

"There was a disturbance after your father came to find you. I'm waiting for Kai to return."

Kai appeared in the kitchen, gasping for air. He took a moment to catch his breath before he shifted his gaze to my mom.

"Nessa." He said, his eyes wide with alarm.

"What did you find" She asked as she turned to look at him.

"He took a child, no older than eleven, into Remna. Tori tried to stop him but she was too late."

"No!" My mom gasped.

"Why would he take a child?" I asked as I looked between my mother and Kai. "He doesn't have the ability to reap a soul." His words haunted me from nearly an hour ago.

Others will die.

I thought about that one little girl, her pure soul that he had craved for. What had he wanted with a child's soul?

Souls gave him power my mom said.

"He devoured an innocent's soul." I told them. I could feel my voice shaking as the confession fell from my lips like a soft plea. "I reaped a child's soul for him."

"Kai." My mom called. "We need to round up the others. We have to be ready in case he comes through the Echo for another pure soul."

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"An innocent's soul may give him just enough power to steal another. If he comes back for another human on this side of the Echo, we'll be ready for him. If he keeps devouring pure souls, the power it will give him will be catastrophic."

Fear whispered against my skin.

"What about the human he took?"

"It's too late for them. He's the only one with the blade. And I would never force you to use your powers Lee. That needs to be your decision. Now, stay here. You'll be safe. Kai, we need to go debrief the others." Kai reached for my mother's hand and they both vanished.

I turned to the window, my thoughts heavy and thick as I watched the sunlight begin its dance upon the green leaves. So much color on this side of the Echo. So much life.

I closed my eyes, seeing the child's whose soul I had reaped.

I had been ready to never use my powers again.

He had another human, a child. One only I could get to.

Who did I want to be?

If I didn't find out now, it would haunt me for the rest of my life.