(Ch 11)It Started with a Confrontation

It Started with a Confrontation

A gentle wind danced along the trees, making the leaves and wind chimes sing. The sound flittered along the breeze through the open windows, cooling the air. Soft music played from my portable radio as I brought to life the sketch of Scott I’d drawn what seemed like a life time ago.

I sat back and admired the use of watercolours. It was a complete likeness of him. The long flowing dark hair, the slight smile that had all the girls falling for him – had me falling for him – the smouldering charcoal eyes that held mystery, a story untold.

I’d mistaken this look for arrogance, but as time went on I’d realised it was all a façade, a wall that blinded others from the truth. Scott was lonely, lost and confused.

As I set my paintbrush down, studying the portrait before me, I knew then just how I would portray this lost soul.

Deciding first to add my final touches to the portrait, I became consumed by the events of last night.

Scott had vanished, completely. Okay, so he’s probably somewhere on campus. I’d tried looking for him in the usual places after I’d changed, but there had been no sign of him.

Eventually I’d had no choice but to give up my search. The winner of the fashion show was to be announced soon and I was needed back at the show. We didn’t win though, but Jess and her team were pretty happy about the second place positions they’d achieved.

I’d felt bad. I knew it was probably my fumble on stage that lost them points, but in the end they’d all reassured me that achieving second place was more than they expected and we’d agreed to celebrate at tonight’s bonfire and barbeque.

Raina, Tommy and even Blaine, who wasn’t usually the chatty type, continued to excitedly retell the tale of how I’d made my debut as a model, this morning at breakfast. Tommy’d joked saying this could be the start of my career on the catwalk. I’d laughed it off, slightly embarrassed, but it was meant as a compliment – in a weird way.

I’d been silently grateful when nobody questioned my sudden turn about on the stage. One thing that had been discussed, the fact that it was clear I’d been about to dash off of the stage. They’d been more concerned about the fact that I had stayed and made pretty good statement with my attitude change.

Of course my gratitude was short lived as the ever observant Blaine questioned what had made me decide to give it a go.

I’d hastily made some lame excuse about not wanting to disappoint Jess and the others, that they were counting on me. I know, it’s a terrible lie, but what was I supposed to say to them?

I couldn’t very well tell them about the weird and unexplainable connection I’d shared with Scott. I mean how could I when I was freaking over it? I knew I still had feelings for him, but last night, the way I felt… it was like none of the drama we’d gone through happened. It felt like when we’d been together, before he’d broken my heart.

I was just so confused.

I’d considered going to find him after breakfast, but then my control freak brain stopped me. I knew how it would look to him if I came crawling back to him, begging him to talk to me about last night, which I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t want to.

I hate this. I hate that I wasn’t able to move on like I thought I would. How was I supposed to when so much about what we had still lingered, still confused me and hung over my head.

I knew I needed to clear my head and order my thoughts before I even considered going to talk to him. So after I spent the morning with Raina, I’d made my escape to the Jackie’s classroom.