Chapter 23: Unafraid and Thriving

The sky seemed a thousand times darker today and stormy clouds took over the city. It had never been this dark in Clearwater, and the rains would be coming soon. It was nine in the morning and where there had once been a sun, lay a gloomy shadow.

It was Sunday and Josiah decided to go for a run on his day off. He wore his sports wear and began a short jog around the small town. The air began getting cooler and it felt odd to have the possibility of snow right before the start of spring. He shivered as small droplets of water began spraying on him. It was as though God held a bottle of perfume- only it was just full of water- and he was spritzing it down onto the land.

He ran around the tall semi truck that was parked beside the church and traced the outskirts of town near a lake he never knew had existed. He stopped and took a seat on the rocks beside the edge. The rain pour became heavier and faster as water soaked his face, hair, and clothes. He was drenched as he looked up at the mournful sky.

He was frozen as his socks filled with water. Suddenly, out of what seemed like nowhere, a giant dirt brown crocodile walked out of the lake and snapped at him. It made a grab for his leg, but with quick instincts and an extremely loud scream, Josiah ran off the rock and climbed the short hill. The animal huffed impatiently as he continued to sprint, he wondered how long it had been watching him before deciding to strike. He felt a sigh of relief until panic came again. And suddenly, he realized he had been running the wrong direction.

He realized this when his feet hit a huge puddle that ended up being the lake that he was trying to escape. He screamed when something sharp stabbed his leg and he was dragged under the water.

The rain made the lake's water level grow exponentially as Josiah struggled for air. The water suddenly became red and Josiah was out of sight.

Should've went to church this morning. Was his final thought as he was devoured by the crocodile.

➿➿➿

"Enough." Adam finished, his eyes tracing Magdalene's face, searching for answers. She was mortified, afraid that he would break their engagement.

"I'm sorry," she cried, but it was absolutely true. She did feel neglected.

"No Mags, I'm sorry. I should've given you more attention and treated you better. I... I just need some time. Eleanor's still... I'm still mourning and grieving. Maybe this wedding shouldn't happen, you're right, my heart isn't fully committing and I'm sorry it got to the point where even you noticed it." Magdalene's mouth hung so low, open wide enough for a monster truck to drive into it and back out.

"Are you... breaking our engagement? You don't want me?" The tears from earlier returned as she stared at Adam. She blinked them away, looking so innocent that Adam felt like he was telling a puppy to go away.

"No, Mags, I..." he approached her on the couch, he sat and placed a calming hand on her knee. "I just need a few more months. I wouldn't have proposed if my intention wasn't to marry you." He chucked as she looked at him with murky eyes and glared.

"Intentions mean nothing without actions." She scowled, "I think we need a break... I'm going to be leaving for a while- I still love you Adam, but, we might need some time to heal. I still want to marry you." Magdalene stood up and left the room.

Adam took a deep sigh, frustrated that Magdalene could be such a child. She was his age, yet she acted like she was ten. He rubbed his temples then lay his back on the couch. In that moment, a terrible migraine struck his mind as he reached for his phone. He needed to see a doctor ASAP. And he had one in mind.

"Hello Max."

"Yes Mr. Carnegie."

"Can you book me a flight to Oklahoma? Or possibly set the private jets so they're ready for tomorrow. Call Zac and send him with me."