Epiphany

You know that typical chick flick romance, whether it be a movie or book where the plot line is always the same. Almost everyone knows that the two lovers will end up together, but the details in between are a mystery.

Typically, the two fall in love, the girl falls in deep as does the guy, but for some unknown reason he feels conflicted; whether it be not being good enough for the girl or making a mistake with another girl. After all of the chaos, the guy leaves only to find he left half of himself with the first girl he loved. Eventually, he comes back to her whether it be too late or not and the two end up together. The end.

Basically, more than half of the love stories that exist consist of such a story line, but like I said before, the details in between are still a mystery.

The key to captivating an audience may be the way it is written or performed. All of which can make the story appear like a completely new and original plot line, no matter how many similar story lines there are just like it.

In all stories there is some sort of conflict, because without conflict there is no story, but with love the conflict is similar to many stories told in the past. For example, a girl loves a guy, a guy loves a girl, either the girl feels insecure and has internal conflict or the guy feels weak, leaves, and messes things up.

Did a movie or book pop into mind?

Now I'm not trying to be bias or sexist here, girls can make the same mistakes as guys with love. For example,the girl having an affair or not feeling good enough for the one they love, and the guy is the hopeless romantic.

Now I have lived and re-lived some great love stories through books and movies, but it makes me wonder:

What is love?

I mean in society we tend to use powerful words with little meaning behind them. We use words like love to describe things we may simply just like maybe not even all that much, but we say it in order to bring effect into our speech.

As kids or teenagers when we have our first crush or relationship we say we love that other person, but do we really? We say we love our parents because they say they love us, but what do we really mean as kids when we say "I love you mom" or "I love you dad"? Adults will always tell their kid that "you're too young to be in love" or "you're too young to even know what love is", but is there really an age requirement to love? If so where does it start? and if it has a beginning does that mean it has an end and where does it end? All of these statements and accusations about love are spread throughout the world when in reality the definition of love is known by those who hold it.

People say "when you love someone, you'll know", but in some movies and books there's always that character who tries to deny love or fool him or herself into a false definition of love.

Love has 2 sides: the happily ever after disney side where everything is happy and the only conflict is the character fighting to save someone VERSUS the dramatic Shakespearean side where there is internal conflict of denial or inner turmoil which plays into the external conflict of harsh verbal conflicts between the two love birds.

The second side is portrayed to be the realist view of love and the first side is the idealist side. Many people begin as idealists as children, especially growing up with disney and happily ever afters.

Now I'm not blaming disney for their portrayal of love because I mean it is fantasy anyways and people have had the idea they play on the big screen long before disney came into the picture.

That just leaves the question, when do we as humans stop believing in the impossible, stop being idealists and start believing in what we know rather than what we don't know and becoming realists. I mean idealism and realism are two different things but many things sprout from both, like the topic of religion versus science.

Idealists tend to be the people that build the foundation for a grand achievement like creating something from nothing. Great examples of this include people like Martin Luther King Jr. who's ideal society was one where both white and black people were equal in every way.

Now some realist would have said that it would never happen because of the cruelty of man and the way things were in society back then but look at us now, no more segregation.

All of this change because one man, an idealistic man decided to act on his ideals to make it a reality despite those who thought he was crazy for having such an outrageous idea in his time period. In reality people tend to not work well with big change, ideally people do but realistically it takes time whether days, months, or maybe even years. In the end though whether or not an idealist's vision comes true can either make or break him or her.

How does this relate to what love is? Well with love, there are those who imagine a fantasy filled with romantic quotes and dances underneath the stars, where as realists see love as just another thing in the world that will hurt them.

Some would say that many realists are just broken idealists who figure that the world is a cruel place and must learn to accept it. With idealists, they tend to be associated with children because children are usually less experienced in the world of cruelty. Few idealists grow up to become "big children", and are constantly told to "grow up". They're like the Peter Pans living in real life.

Now You're probably wondering if there can be a balance between idealism and realism. Truth is someone who can dream of the impossible without being completely crushed and totaled before they have reached their destination, is that very person.

A wise person told me that "you must keep your dreams and expectations close to your knowledge of reality's consequences". By that I assume it means that life is an adventure and being as love is a dream of many people, we tend to extinguish the consequences that may follow being in love ultimately fooling ourselves into our own reality.

Being in love is one of life's many challenges, but it's like a balance scale. You need an equal amount of reality and an equal amount of ideals. With too little of one side you may propel up high, but what goes up must come down. With too much of another side you may tumble down below where you started and struggle to get back up.

Ultimately, love is a continuos mystery that people can either dream of, live in fear of, or take action of.

.

.

.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

So thanks for reading guys. Sorry if it sucks I just felt like sharing my thoughts ha. Umm if you have any comments don't be afraid to share I appreciate it. Have a great day!