CHAPTER FOURTEEN : Legacy

Sometimes I think about why I do the things I do. Why do I write? I think when you only look at a short expanse of time wishing for quick results it can be frustrating. I'm trying not to get bummed out at how my book stuff has fared in only the few months that they've been writing. It's better to have a long-term view. I like to think of it as my legacy. I forget if it was Picasso or Van Gogh, but they only sold a handful of paintings in their life and mostly lived in obscurity. It wasn't until later that people would appreciate their art. Not that I'm saying I'm anywhere near the artistic level of those two art genius, or that I'm hoping that my works will posthumously takeoff after I'm pushing up daisies.

It's just how I want to be remembered. I think I wrote this in my first book, but your art is like a little piece of your soul, a little bit of you that is eternal and shared with the world. A little bit of you that will never die, but is as timeless as the olden land and sky. Like a Horcrux kind of but not in a bad way. If one day I ever crank out a couple younglings (little Arties) I think it would be cool if they have something to remember dear old dad by. Hopefully I will have done enough of good job as a father so they are not totally embittered and pernicious towards me, and will take a gander at what I wrote, even if only ironically or out of spite.

Even if they can squeeze out at least a nugget of wisdom (no matter how small!) in the vast cast of books I want to one day write. What will be your legacy? What will you leave behind? It's my desire that we leave behind something more than just paying bills and popping pills. When we get ushered onto the Great Beyond what will say of our life to our Creator? How have we spent our lives in this little pale blue dot in the endless sea?

I think I would keep writing even if no one would read what I wrote (which is almost already true anyways! Haha.) I believe I would keep writing even if I never really make any money with it (which is the case with most writers). I enjoy the thing. I think that's the way it is with the things we love. We will keep pursuing it even when the metaphysical carrots are no longer dangled in front of our weary faces. Live for an audience of one. Ultimately my audience is my Creator.

I know He put the fire in my belly to write and create stories and by golly, I'm going to try and do so. I may not be successful or wealthy from what I write (hopefully that's not the case!) but I'm just going to keep on swimming and be faithful to my call. And on my Final Day when I meet my Maker I want to be able to show that. Dammit, I may never have become famous or wealthy, but I wrote, and wrote and wrote some more! It would be nice if my skill as a writer progressed somewhat by that point. That's another thing. Self-actualization. Isn't it sort of our purpose to grow, develop and be better? At whatever our passion is?

What are your goals? Mega Millionaire Grant Cardone (fav) writes his goals down every night before going to bed. Right now I want to write seven books, and start writing short stories as well. Someday I want to get a book published by a traditional publishing house (like a real author lol). Hey! I've already got two down! This one is coming along and I already outlined and started another fiction book. See what happens when you are constantly plugging away at something? Even a dummy like me can achieve stuff when I persevere and just keep at the grind. Put in work.

I think I also like writing because it allows me to express myself and help people understand me a little better. As the isolated introvert hermit, I am (like Yoda), I can seemingly disappear for seemingly lengthy stretches of time. But my books are sort of like the conversations I would like to have with people, but for whatever reason never came to be. Life is crazy! It's not all just me, we are all busy with work, family, hobbies, boring life stuff like getting groceries, filling up the tank, doing laundry etc. These factors exacerbate things.

My art is meant to allow others a glimpse into my mind and into my heart. I mean all my art to be encouraging and edifying in someway, and it's my desire that it's somewhat inspiring. That is my way of trying to the heal the world. I can't suture the wound with mine hands, nor soothe the soul with mine voice, but mayhaps I can support your heart with mine words. I pray at least even one thing in this book was food for your soul or fire for your heart, that it spoke life and breathed hope and freshness anew in your being.

Key Takeaways:

-What will your legacy be?

-Think about what your goals in life are.