Ch 23. A Girls and Grantaire Lunch

A humor and Grantaire chapter-
The Actress

"You parents hate me!" Éponine exclaimed once the couple left the meeting. Enjolras, back in his mojo, discussed more plans and they have approved greatly. A rally was planned for the coming day, but all Éponine could think of was the run in with Enjolras's parents.

"And your's hate me too! We are even!" Enjolras said. Éponine huffed, looking at the ground. If she was wearing more comfortable clothing, she would have seen her feet kicking stray pebbles. But alas, the skirt was too big for her to even see her feet. "And something my Father said got me thinking."

"Oh god." Éponine muttered, looking up at the sky as the two walked back to the apartment.

"The General could die any day now. Which means the barricade could arise any day. Which means I could die any day!"

"Enjy!" Éponine said, slapping his chest gently. He just sighed, and took Éponine's hands.

"What I'm saying is, let's get married now. Let's go to the court house and sign the papers or elope. So if I die, you will have enough money and a place to stay to provide for the baby and yourself." Éponine stopped walking, staring at Enjolras in shock. He wanted to ger married, at this very moment. Éponine wasn't one for big romantic gestures, like a huge wedding, but this? This was a huge romantic gesture, in its own, simple way. But Éponine couldn't help but smile.

But what Éponine said was totally different. "I-I'll have to think about it." She said, squeezing his hand in assurance. Éponine didn't want a big wedding, she just wanted to marry Enjolras and live in that fantasy world. But, something about going to town hall as the Barricade day draws nearer makes her uncomfortable and brings her back to her fears of the Barricade. "Don't worry, Enjy. We'll get married before the Barricade. May didn't even end yet." Enjolras nodded.

Well, this would be a fun night.

——————————————————-

"Are you stupid!" Cosette shrieked. The three girls, Cosette, Éponine, and Musichetta, weren't allowed to go to the Les Amis meeting today. That of course, lead to a lot of arguing.

"What do you mean I can't come to the meeting!" Éponine said, as the boys tried to block her from entering the Café, even though she was already inside.

"Boys only!" Courfeyrac said.

"You guys tried to do this when we were kids, on the second Les Amis meeting! We aren't kids, and these meetings are more crucial so let me in!" Éponine said, punching Combeffere's chest, as he was the one blocking her. Cosette was ok with not attending a meeting and Musichetta wanted to skip her shift. But Éponine? There was no way she was going to miss a meeting. "Who decided this anyway?"

Combeferre bit his lip and turned to Courfeyrac for support. Éponine knew he always did this when he got nervous or faced with a question he couldn't answer. "ENJY!" Éponine screamed, shoving the confused Combeferre out of the way. He yelped.

"'Ponnie! Not a good idea!" Marius said, trying to grab her small wrist. Éponine slapped his arm away as she stormed into the back room.

"Enjy! Why can't I go to the me-" Enjolras turned around, his curls bouncing. His face was flushed as he was holding... a piece of wood? Éponine tilted her head, trying to see what was behind him. A sob got caught in her throat. "Awwww, Enjy..." Éponine said, hugging him. Behind Enjolras, was a crib.

"Éppy! Ah, what are you doing here?" He asked. Éponine chuckled.

"Why can't I go to the meeting." She asked, sweetly, even though her words sounded harsh. Enjolras tensed in their embrace. "Enjy..."