two. ❛ death is only the beginning ❜

TWO

TWO

ITALY - 1917

JACK smells him coming seconds before Demetri knocks on the door, though his eyes don't look up from the medical book he'd taken from Caius' library and his posture gives nothing away as the older vampire silently enters his room. Demetri waits, watching their newest member as he finishes his page and closes the book, their matching bright red eyes- a sign that everyone important had just fed the day prior- meet and Demetri smiles, all sharp teeth and cunning.

"Aro wishes to see you Jack." The elder informs. Jack stands then, stretching lazily like a content cat that has just finished a very satisfying nap in the sun, and gestures for Demetri to lead the way. He does immediately, holding out his arm in such a gentlemanly fashion that Jack cannot help but snort. Though he does admittedly thread his arm into his companions, if only to get a reaction of of him.

"Tell me Demetri, what is it our marvelous leader wishes to speak to me about?" Jack asks in a conversational tone, eyes meeting the blonde vampires own as they walk, shoulders brushing.

"I'm sure you'll find out soon enough dear Jack, besides you were human not long ago, I'm sure you heard that one phrase about the curious cat."

"Then I'm sure you know, Demetri, that the cat came back. Coming back is my speciality after all."

They reach a verbal impasse, both grinning like they had won and neither too upset about losing.

Demetri had enjoyed the company of the other since he had come to find Volterra home. It had been a while since anyone had interested him so, and Jack was certainly interesting. They could snark and snarl at one another just as easily as they could flirt and fuck. It was quite an interesting game, one Demetri hadn't had the pleasure in taking part in for many centuries. Nevertheless their banter ended as they approached the main room, Jack putting on a neutral face and moving quickly into the room as to not keep Aro waiting.

"You wished to see me Master?" Jack murmured, walking into the rooms center and bowing to the three kings that sat in chairs facing him. Aro batted away his formalities with a flick of his hand, beckoning Jack forward.

"Come closer dear one, there is no need to stand so far." Aro purred holding a hand out expectantly as Jack hurries forward, reaching up his hand to willingly share all thought with Aro. The older vampire grinned happily and Jack smiled back.

"Ah Jack, I know that you have been restless to test your abilities, and now is the perfect opportunity." Aro exclaimed happily, releasing Jacks hand and gesturing towards the high guard who watched the interaction with expressionless masks that Jack hadn't quite perfected in place.

"Of course master. I live to serve." Jack replied dryly, his lips twitching into the ghost of a smile at his own joke as he bowed. He moved to stand with the high guard, finding a place besides Demetri, with whom he shared a quick, amused, glance with.