}19}

Jack’s POV:

Please, please. Let me be crazy.

Let this all be in my head.

I imagine the whole thing.

Let me open my eyes, and it all be gone. I'll be back in my room, waiting for Mark.

Please, please. Don't let him be drowned in that horrid bathtub.

Make this cabin disappear.

Make these dreadful people just be a dream, another nightmare.

I couldn't stop crying. And thinking.

And praying.

Why should Mark die? It was all my fault, all my stupid mistake. He was only trying to rescue me. He didn't know who these people were. He didn't know why I had been kidnapped. He didn't know anything.

So why should Mark die?

He shouldn't die.

He can't die.

Please, please, please. He can't die.

But when I opened my eyes and forced myself to see through my tears, Mark hadn't moved. He was still on his knees, his body draped over the side of the tub, his head in the water, unmoving, still, his arms hanging limp at his sides, his palms flat and lifeless against the wooden floorboards. (Cries)

“You're next.” Anti's words, spoken like venom from right above me, didn't register. I didn't even hear them.

My shoulders heaved from my silent sobs. I choked on the towel. Anti pulled it out until I stopped choking. Then he quickly stuffed it back in.

Dark, holding the knife again, stepped toward Anti, a thoughtful expression on his face. “I've got an idea, Kitten.” Dark said, looking at me.

“Yes, Darky?”

“Well, he's such a handsome little thing,” Dark started slowly, reluctantly, “can't we keep him with us---you know, as a slave or something?”

Anti stomped his foot against the floor. “Dark---no.”

Dark looked hurt.

“I'm only thinking of you, Kitten. I'll bet he'd be a good, hard worker. He could do the cleaning and cooking, all the work, and you could sit back and take it easy and just enjoy life.”

“I already enjoy life,” Anti said loudly. Then he quickly softened his tone, obviously afraid to anger or cross Dark. “And you know I enjoy working for you, Darky. It ain't work if it's for you. It's a pleasure.” He walked up and kissed Dark behind the ear.

Dark looked back at me, as I sob quietly, listening to every word but looking down at the floor.

“I still think he should come in real handy,” Dark insisted, sounding peevish. (No Dark stop..)

“I know what you're thinking,” Anti scolded.

Dark shook his head. “No, that ain't it. I just think it would be real nice to have a servant. You know, be like Rich folk.” (Mhm...suuuurrrrrreeee)

“Now, Dark, stop and think a minute,” Anti said softly. “You've got to realize he'll only be trouble. No matter where we took him and how well we treat him, he'd try to escape the first chance he got. We'd have to be on guard duty twenty-four hours a day. Now, that wouldn't be no fun, would it?”

Dark thought about it for a long time.

It seemed like an eternity to me.

Tell him you want to keep me alive, I thought.

Tell him you want to keep me around to do all the work.

Tell him you a slave, you creep. You creep!

Tell him.

Tell him.

I just want to stay alive.

I just want stay alive enough to pay you back for drowning Mark.

“I guess you're right, Kitten,” Dark said, rubbing his sore jaw. “I guess you're right, as always.”

“I'm always right for you, Darky,” Anti said, pleased with himself. “You know I always do right for you.” Anti ruffled his dark green hair with his hand.

Dark stepped toward me, raised the knife and cuts away the ropes.

I looked up. Looked beyond Dark. Looked at the figure coming up behind Dark.

My eyes widen in disbelief.

The wet dish towel fell to my lap as my mouth opened in shock.

Anti turned and followed my astonished gaze.

“But---but you're dead!” Anti shrieked.

Word count: 678. One more part and The Broken Date will be officially finished! And for a special treat...it's coming out today!! As soon as it's typed up. So get ready!