Tangled Strings (Ten Years Ago)

"Mom will be mad if she finds out."

Axel turned around and smiled at his ten-year old sister. "Amber, she won't know if you'll keep it a secret forever. Besides, the party won't last long and we'll clean up before she gets home tomorrow."

Even though the little girl was worried, her gray eyes twinkled like the stars. She sighed and then crossed her arms, puffing her cheeks as she did so. "Of course I won't tell on you. But this is a bad idea, brother."

"It'll be fine," Axel assured her. "Just remember to stay in your room. I'll bring your favorite pizza."

"And french fries?"

"Yes."

"And chocolate?"

Axel laughed. "Sure."

"Okay, deal," Amber said, grinning. "Are all your friends coming?"

Axel stared at his sister. The truth was, he hardly had any friends. Since it was his first year in college, he was trying his best to establish himself, and what better way than to throw a party? Everyone loved parties. It was the trend. Surely, he would be accepted after tonight, right? He would be part of their circle.

That was the whole point.

He no longer wanted to be the loner at school. He wanted to be cool for once.

So even if he had never thrown a part before; even if he had to work part-time and cut down his allowance; even if he had to lie and do everything behind his mother's back, he was determined to make tonight a success. He wanted everyone to have a good time.

Tonight was crucial. It was make or break.

The party started at six in the evening. He invited everyone in his class, which was a little over thirty people, but he was sure they would invite other friends or acquaintances, so he prepared loads of food and booze. People started streaming in steadily and Axel was happy that he was getting warm greetings and a few claps on the back even though most of them didn't know his name.

He didn't mind introducing himself. He didn't care that his guests went in not knowing who he was, as long as they went out remembering his name for the rest of the semester.

By eight o' clock, the music was so loud that Axel felt as though the walls were trembling. His face was hot and his head was pounding. The bass hurt. He closed his eyes a second too long and stared at the paper cup in his hand. Just how much beer did he already drink? He was not feeling good.

He looked around and saw people smoking, making out, or acting silly. He could hardly recognize them, but he was happy that he had a sea of faces in his home, smiling and laughing and asking him to take another shot of alcohol, as if they were all his close friends.

Of course, small accidents were bound to happen. The sofa was smudged with alcohol and food stain; the rug that his mom stitched from scratch was torn to pieces; and a few photo frames were cracked. Several times, he had to catch his mother's favorite vase from smashing to the cold floor. He moved it to his mother's room before something else could happen to it.

He knew he had a lot of explaining or covering up to do once tonight was over, but he was too overwhelmed and drunk to care. His body was fluid, swaying to the beat of the music, despite the nagging pain in his head.

"Hey, great party!" somebody yelled into his ear.

The first thing Axel's eyes landed on was a pair of green eyes. There was a strange look on them, but he couldn't understand what. The guy's messy blond hair became messier as he ran his hand through it, taking a swig of beer and smacking his lips with a loud sound all the while.