Chapter 4: A knock out

Chapter 4:

Nicole woke to a humming sound. It was coming from the room beside hers which meant someone was taking a shower. For her sake she hoped it wasn’t Blake; she didn’t want to walk into him or...see him naked. Or did she? Nicole flushed. She quickly got dressed in her mundane uniform and packed a bag. she never had to use a school bag so a plastic Tesco one would have had to suffice. She walked down the hall and knocked on the purple door—Sam’s—and spoke through it.

“Sam,” she whispered. “You awake?”

A while later, Sam opened the door and dragged Nicole inside. Nicole’s eyes bulged out of her sockets. Sam was naked! Face as hot as the sun, Nicole spun around.

“Sorry, but I just came out the shower and I’m fresh outta clean towels.” said Sam.

“So did you walk from the bathroom naked?

“Yeesh! You say it like I committed all the seven sins!”

“What if Blake saw you?”

“Oh, that boy doesn’t wake before ten, at least not on a Friday...okay, I’m done; you can turn around now.”

Nicole relaxed. Sam’s room was stripy, dark purple and black walls. It had loads of pictures, posters and notes stuck on the walls; it looked like what a teenager’s room should look like. Sam had a messy bunk bed, like she’d never bothered to make the beds up, wedged between a mostly empty bookcase and an overloaded desk at the beginning of the room. At the other end she had a black fluffy lounger with stuffed toys, facing the window.

“How do I look?” Sam asked.

Sam had a cute face, chinky eyes and sandy-coloured skin which, in Nicole’s opinion, made her look good in anything. Her hair was in a neat caramel bun and make up was on point, though, Nicole thought, she didn’t really need any. She wore light jeans and a long-sleeve black top with her name stitched both on the back of it and on the front pocket of her jeans. “Cute.”

Sam sighed, crossing her arms. “I was going for hot, but whatever.” Nicole’s cheeks went pink. “I’m teasing you.” Sam laughed, shoving her playfully. “Cute will do fine; don’t want old guys checkin’ me out at work, too.”

“Don’t you take classes at uni?”

“Uh...no.” Nicole gave Sam a shocked stare. “I’m nineteen, my parents want me to pay my own way, and I just can’t afford university right now. Right, let’s move.”

Sam owned a red Ford Focus which drove them up to Edgington. Before Nicole got out, Sam said, “If you need me, just call me, I will come and get you.”

“Will do, but I’m taking your advice and avoiding Carmen.”

Sam watched Nicole until she safely made it into the building and then took off. Nicole had made sure to come early so she wouldn’t risk bumping into a certain trio. They’d ask about progress and she hadn’t made any.  First, she had P.E. and she hated it. She grabbed a spare kit from the P.E. storage department and hastily got changed. She loathed shorts; they made her feel so exposed, the way they just barely stretched over her bum cheeks. The gym was always left open in the mornings for cleaning, so she went inside. Feeling playful, she grabbed a basketball out of the cupboard and fancied a game of hoops for a while. She dribbled and bounced the ball a few times, already working up a sweat.

“Fancy a game?”

She whipped around and saw Andre standing by the bench in a white vest and red shorts. “Oh. Uh, I’m not really that...skilled.” she said. What she meant was she didn’t feel like playing with another person.