Chapter 1

Hello, my name is Tenaya. I am sixteen years old and I am from District 2 in Panem.

Panem is a large nation made out of 13 districts and The Capitol. District 2 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. It is where most of the Peacekeepers are trained and weapons are manufactured, but originally specialized only in mining and stone cutting. Publicly it is presented as the nation's stone quarries, just as District 13 is known for graphite mining. After the recent rebellion, District 2 has been rewarded with better treatment and living conditions for their citizens because of its loyalty to the Capitol. It is in the Rocky Mountains, near the Capitol itself. The district is made up of many small villages, each based around a mine. Although they get preferential treatment from the Capitol, the quarry workers suffer as much as any other district.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Naya!" I'm startled as a deep voice jumps me from behind. I nearly fall out my seat.

"Jeez Stef! How many times have I told you not to do that to me!" I try to sound mad but he just laughs at me. I turn away because I feel a distant smile coming on myself. If there's one thing I'm absolutely terrible at, it's trying to stay angry at him, my record is about two days.

"Common' turn that frown upside down"  He uses a sarcastic, baby tone and wraps his warm arms around my waist and tickles me under my ribs, I hate that. There's nothing worse than getting tickled. I try to express my hate for this kind of torture by letting out an almighty scream and I start to kick. Once again I burst out laughing yet I'm still screaming at the same time.

"Sshhhhhh! You'll cause another avalanche on one of the near by mountains." We both laugh.

"Well don't do it then, you no I hate it." I lay down on a small patch of dead grass, gazing at a distant mountain.

He rubs my arm softly as he sits down on a small patch reserved for him by my side, "Miss your dad?" 

My dad went missing five days ago along with twelve other men. He was said to have last been seen by one of the stone mines when the avalanche struck. 

A small tear runs down my face and Stef wipes it away with his sleeve.

"He's still alive, I know it!"

"And I wouldn't question your belief for a single second, but he only has two more days before they call of the search and then-" I cut him off.

"I know. Then he will be announced dead by the president and everyone has to go back to there everyday lives, no questions asked!" I'm sharp with my voice and he shuts up, I know he meant no harm in what he was saying, I just don't like talking about it.

I think I made him feel awkward. He gets up and goes to leave. "Oh and by the way, there's a emergency announcement in the town square in an hour sharp, don't be late again, or you will suffer the consequences" He looks to the floor and wonders off kicking a rock around with his warn out shoes.

Or suffer the consequences? I know I was quite mean with what I said, but he knows how uptight I get with talking about my dad. Did he really just threaten me?