Chapter 9

Let's just say Blackjack didn't like New Jersey at night. At around 9 he told me it was too dark and that he wanted to leave. Me, being the great person I am, had him to keep going.

After Blackjack almost running into three buildings and him constantly complaining that he couldn't see, I had him land near a small hotel.

There was a small sign which said "Pets welcome!"

I hoped they allowed my horse.

I remembered what Luke had told me about the mist. It covered up mythical things. Maybe it could make Blackjack look like a dog. A very large dog.

I walked in. "Hello. I would like to get a room for the night."

The woman hesitated, probably about to ask where my parents were. She nodded, "150. You and your dog?"

I looked to Blackjack, who glared at the woman and snorted as if to say 'I am NOT a dog!'

"Yeah." I grinned, "And my dog."

"10 bucks extra. 160."

I looked through the mortal money I had been given. I only had 130 so I put it on the counter and ran away with my room key before she could notice.

For some reason, I was aloud to stay. It was a one-bed room and I slept on the bed while Blackjack slept on the floor.

He wasn't happy about it, but I promised him donuts so he complied.

The next morning (after the donuts) we set out after the quest.

The demigods and satyr had stopped in the woods and were now looking for a place to eat.

I walked a few feet behind them, dodging behind bushes and trees if I suspected that they saw me. Blackjack flew overhead.

I didn't hear much of their conversation. Most that I heard was them complaining about food and asking if Grover could smell any monsters.

It was almost painful for me to look at Grover.

I let my mind wander. Maybe in some alternate universe, I would be on the quest instead of Luke. Grover and I would stay best friends, and who knows maybe I could even get a girlfriend in the future.

I almost laughed aloud. I was their enemy, my thoughts shouldn't wander like that.

After a while they stopped in front of a small, creepy shop. Stone statues were everywhere. I could feel their eyes on me and I shivered.

I don't like this place, boss.

I looked up into the sky, but saw no Blackjack. I looked at the creepy statues and agreed.

The three walked in, Annabeth (the girl) looking hungry, Grover looking confused, and Luke looking nervous.

I assumed this place was the lair of some mythological monster. Which one? I had no idea and I really didn't want to find out.

Sadly, the group walked in and I had no choice but to follow.