Prologue

Day 3

"Welcome to BodyTechNews, today is day three of the search for Promethia Radcliffe, and today The Center for Biomedical Research in Buffalo, NY is reporting that they are entirely out of Apex enzyme. Department of Health officials are questioning why backup reserves were depleted so quickly.

"Deus Trunk of the Center for Biomedical Research has declined to comment. Patients in the midst of treatment at centers across the nation this morning were turned away at the door, and those awaiting treatment were issued delay notices. All were referred to local cancer centers and hospitals for PillTech chemotherapy and other care until further notice.

"Patients and advocates have staged a sit-in outside The Center in Buffalo as well as its satellite locations around the country, and droves of sick have gathered outside federal offices, demanding answers.

"We now go live to Washington D.C. where a bipartisan group of Senators is discussing the shortage."

"Thank you all for being here today," Deputy Leader Senator Charlotte Murrow began. "I know we are all eager to discuss the Apex shortage, but I'd like to take a moment to reflect and pray for Promethia Radcliffe and her family. I can only imagine the fear and anxiety her mother is experiencing right now. I can only imagine the pain and uncertainty. Please know that your country stands with you at this harrowing time."

She did know how Sharon Radcliffe was feeling right now. She knew exactly how she felt. The tears in Charlotte's eyes were real.

"And to whoever knows where our dear Promethia is right now, rest assured, we will find you." She paused again, looking up, into the black eyes of the news cameras. She wondered why they all still came. Between BodyTech and the Bureau, there wasn't much room for commentary. Or even the truth. It made for a dull affair, even during a major national crisis. "I do have some remarks, but I'd like to allow Senator Archer from New York to say a few words. Mike?"

Senator Michael Archer edged his way to the podium, "Hello everyone, Senator Murrow, thank you for your leadership, and for bringing us together at such a crucial time in our nation's history. My colleague and I are not always on the same page," he smiled at Charlotte. "But today, she and I stand in unison to call for bipartisan support of the The Center for Biomedical Research and of Apex research dollars. Since Promethia Radcliffe went missing three days ago, a light has been shed on the serious and systemic gap in the care for sick people across our nation. And today, in the midst of a national, crisis-level shortage of Apex, we have learned just how important Promethia is to our country's health, and our safety.

"Today, there are millions of people who cannot get access to the treatment they need, and the treatment they have been promised," he paused, took a deep breath, and glanced at Joe, his Chief of Staff. "But the truth is, every day there are people who need the Apex enzyme, and who can't get it because they score too low." A reporter for BodyTechNews visibly stiffened, then smiled, ready to go in for the kill, but Archer continued, "These are good, middle-class, working folks. These are children, mothers and fathers, the poor. Some suffer from serious diseases like cancer, lymphoma, and leukemia. Others are at risk of dying from the common cold and flu."

The reporters fluttered, confused. This was not an issue for the mainstream media. Only reporters on the fringe – the ones in in print journalism – covered Apex conspiracy theories. The color drained from Joe's face.

"People from every walk of life are denied Apex every single day, for a multitude of reasons. The one thing those people have in common, however, is that they want to live. They are desperate to live. And now, our greatest fears have come to fruition, and some folks have become so desperate, that they have taken measures into their own hands." He paused.