Prologue

It was September 21. Avalon, Spencer, and Kathryn were being regular teenage girls, having a fun get together at Avalon's house. It was late, but they had gone to the town's cafe' around 8:00 p.m., so they had enough caffeine to last them a while.

   "Hey guys? Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you were.. I don't know... Someone else?" Kathryn asked. Kathryn looked out of the window she was sitting beside.

   "Are you talking about catfishing someone?" Avalon asked, glancing at Kathryn, then returning her eyes to the magazine she was reading.

   "Something like that." Kathryn replied, still staring out of the window. Spencer looked up at Kathryn and then worriedly looked at Avalon. Avalon returned the look.

   "Aurora is a small town. You wouldn't go unnoticed if you acted like someone you aren't." Spencer said. She returned her eyes to Kathryn who had begun to write in a journal.

   After a few more hours, the girls fell asleep. Spencer and Avalon had fallen asleep on the bed, and Kathryn had fallen asleep at Avalon's desk. Avalon's mom walked into her room, only to find the three girls asleep. She closed the door behind her and went to bed.

It was 6:27 when Avalon woke up. She looked around her,recalling where she was. Her eyes suddenly darted to her desk. She remembers Kathryn falling asleep at that desk! So where was she? "Maybe she took a walk?" Avalon whispered, careful not to wake Spencer. Avalon slowly creeped her way into her living room, only to find her front door wide open. She quietly slipped outside and shut the door behind her. She looked down at her sidewalk. She noticed there were muddy footprints that looked as if they were made by a large boot of some sort. Then Avalon looked up, towards her mailbox and driveway, to see a taxi door closing and quickly driving away. Was it Kathryn leaving in that taxi? Or someone else?