Chapter 1

As we wandered around the parks, fingers intertwined, I ignored the few strange looks sent our way. At this point, I didn't care what people might say or do about it. I was tired of hiding the fact that I loved my girlfriend more than the sun and the moon and the stars and the breath in my lungs. If the neighbors didn't know how to handle that, then it was too bad for them, because I refused to turn back.

My name is Dakota Chumani Crow and this is my story

*Flashback*

I sighed with relief as I finally reached Starbucks after a long, stressful day and an even longer walk from my campus. Unfortunately it was necessary as I had been to this Starbucks ever since I had joined this university two years ago and I didn't want to break tradition, as stupid as that may sound. In the later years I'd be glad that I'd made the trek out and that public transport had failed me on that particular occasion.

I placed my order with a kind albeit harried smile and waited, practically juggling the weight of my laptop from one arm to the other to lessen the strain of its weight. My eyes flitted from stranger to stranger in curiosity and boredom when finally they landed on a girl who looked to be my age, waiting in line, typing into her phone. Her collarbone length, shaggy hair hung in front of her face, a wine red veil. My eyes left her for a moment and I drifted into the land of thought though it didn't seem long before I was forcibly dragged out of it by the barista. However when I went to collect my drink, the girl I'd been observing came to collect her own and it appeared that rather embarrassingly, while I was sure it had been an accident, the barista had forgotten to write the names on the cups. Naturally, as is always the case with these type of things, I had taken the wrong one and had to swap. Laughing softly, the other girl took her cup and thanked both me and the barista before going to sit down.

"Wait" I called out. She stopped "What's your name?"

"Hoa"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Dakota"

"Likewise Dakota" She smiled, her voice soothing and calm. Hoa tucked a piece of hair delicately behind her ear, allowing my light green eyes to reach her warm brown ones. She looked around "There doesn't seem to be many spaces in here. Would you like to sit with me?"

"Sure why not?" I replied, quickly finding us a table. I had originally planned to do work for university but I discarded that. It could be done at another time. I had met Hoa and was interested in speaking to her. Talking to her would be much better than writing an essay on politics, which I was studying.

"Have you always lived here?" she asked out of the blue.

"Yes I was born here and I go to a university near here. What about you?"

"I came here three years ago from Hanoi in Vietnam, where I was born. My parents live near here"

"So what do you think of Pierre, South Dakota? How does it compare to Hanoi?"

"Pierre is pretty but much quieter than Hanoi. It took a while to get used to when we first arrived but now I'm comfortable with it. Hanoi bustled with noise and it was a metropolis as the capital city. Though it was beautiful."

Her eyes had lit up, I noticed. She missed Hanoi as was expected. It had been her home for most of her life

We chatted for hours and exchanged phone numbers, both unaware of where that day would lead and what we'd become.

Just thinking of that memory was making me smile wistfully. Hoa tugged on our entwined hands with a gentle smile. "What's made you so happy?"

"Oh just a certain someone"

"Would I know them?" She asked innocently though a smirk was on her face.

"As a matter of fact you would"

"Is it me by any chance?"

"Cheeky... How did you know?" I asked playfully

"Sensed it" she touched the white rose clip in her hair now a little shyly.

"I love you Nguyen Giang Hoa"

"Love you too"

No matter what our neighbours thought of us, the two lesbian girls who were just living their lives to the full, I knew we'd always have each other. For she was my sun and I was her moon.

Author's note: Hey guys, thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it. Hope everyone had a good Pride Month. Wrote this albeit a little belatedly for #WattPride. Please feel free to vote and comment. Thanks again. See you next time